Sweet Magnolias bakery provides quality goods, service is even better

April 19, 2018

Occasionally, people can’t help but crave some sweets. It usually includes cookies, brownies or ice cream, something a person can pick up from the grocery store. Located off N. 40th Street, Sweet Magnolias offers a wide variety of bakery options. They cater events and sell sweets individually. For six items (albeit three of them were cookies and the other was a huge blueberry scone) the $12 was worth the money.
Sweet Magnolias has unique options from homemade pop tarts, quiche slices and, my personal favorite, the lemon bar. The lemon bar is a breaded cookie with lemon curd filling topped with powdered sugar. As a supporter of lemon curd, the lemon bar did its justice. The visual itself was very pleasing and it tasted as pleasant as it looked. The outside is slightly hard but once I hit the middle it was a smooth, lemon-y dream.
To satisfy the craving for sweets, Sweet Magnolias offers $2 cookies. It almost seems like a lot for a cookie but keep in mind, they are huge. So, it feels like the one cookie received could have been two. I ordered an oatmeal raisin cookie and two chocolate chip cookies. One was better than the other. I am biased because I dislike chocolate, but according to those around me, the chocolate chip cookies had the right amount of chocolate chunks and was baked to perfection. I agree with this notion on behalf of the oatmeal raisin cookies. I am not a huge cookie person but the oatmeal raisin ones I adored. They were soft but not too much that I couldn’t hold it without it breaking. I especially loved the amount of oats in it. It is not very often that an oatmeal cookie is pure oats (which would make more sense than not).
On to the delightful, fluffy blueberry scone of English dreams. I could eat this at any time of the day, every day. For $4, Sweet Magnolias has an assortment of scone flavors and I happened to encounter the blueberry one. To top it off it was sprinkled in icing. It was not overdone or too sweet, it was the perfect balance for such strong flavors. Like the other desserts, the outside was hard, and the inside was soft. Again, it fit the desserts nicely. The lemon bar and blueberry scone were my absolute favorites and I would recommend it to everyone looking for a different kind of sweet.
Finally, I tried a German chocolate pecan pie bar and to say the least, it was interesting. There is not much to say about it besides it may have been too much. The German chocolate and pecans did not mix as well as I was hoping. The point of me trying such a dessert was to get out of my comfort zone, but it only made me stick with what I know. Though, if you like the combining presence of sweet, salty, chocolate and peanut butter flavors, then Sweet Magnolias is the right bakery for you.
Sweet Magnolias is a small, quaint bakery, inside it is warm and has a vintage essence to it with the brick walls and purple and white theme. I enjoyed many of the aspects of Sweet Magnolia and what it could offer. I give this bakery 4.5/5 stars.

$975
$1500