March for our lives is only ‘revolutionary’ because it involves white kids

May 9, 2018

February 26, 2012 Trayvon Martin was shot and killed by another man for looking suspicious. July 6, 2016 Philando Castile was shot and killed by a police officer for having a broken break light. July 17, 2014 Eric Garner was put in chokehold by police and killed because he was selling cigarettes. November 22, 2014 Tamir Rice was shot and killed by a police officer for holding a toy gun. These are only some of the names of victims of police brutality and institutional racism.
When the public heard about these tragic events there wasn’t huge televised rallies or multiple media outlets supporting the cause. There was no Black Lives Matter activist being glorified on the cover of magazines. There weren’t celebrities posting Instagram pictures or tweets with the hashtags #BLM. None of the events were trending or seen important enough to be the main topic of discussion across America or on the news. Why was the movement constantly being dismissed? Why aren’t they just as important?
The media has completely twisted and misrepresented the group in explaining what black Lives Matter stands for. Somewhere along the lines they communicated the group to be thugs and extremists who think the black race should be superior when that is everything they’re are against, when in fact they’re expressing that all lives matter including black ones because it seems that every other race has forgotten that.
Although March for Our Lives movement does have an inspiring message and the intentions behind it are good, the faces of the movement are white kids and for that reason it’s the reason its receiving so much attention. They are being praised and seen as revolutionaries for doing things people of color have been doing for years now. They have been speaking out and using their voice and people have been shutting them down since the beginning. When the Parkland shooting occurred, the topic of discussion was gun control and the importance of the lives of kids. Victims involved in the shooting included people of color and white kids but why were the white kids only seen as victims. The reason the whole entire movement was seen revolutionary was because white kids were involved. Everyday black people have a higher risk of being fatally shot more than any other race. Where is the same energy towards this problem?
It’s no secret that America see’s the problems that concern people of people not as important as white person. Recognized as a second-class citizen and treated as such is damaging to the community of color. Nothing will change in any case if these problems are not acknowledged.

$975
$1500