Why read the newspaper?

April 5, 2018

Top five reasons why students should read The Register

1. Because we work

How would you feel if your English teacher didn’t read your theme? Despite not having a grade, you would feel like all the work you did was useless. That’s how we, the journalists for The Register, feel when only a couple students out 2,600 read our work. We each must put in 4 stories an issue. This means coming up with ideas, researching, interviewing others, and writing a 600-800 word story once a week. Even then, not all our stories are put into the newspaper. So please read, just to honor the work we put in.

1. Supporting local businesses

We sell ads to local business to support our newspaper. We had 15 last issue. By reading the newspaper you support local businesses.

1. Updated and education

Of course, reading about what is happening at Central, in Omaha, and around the country you can be up to date about everything that is happening. If you read the newspaper, you would know that security is planning to make the doors auto-lock, that Hamilton is arriving next fall, where to go when facing mental illness. The newspaper provides applicable and relevant information, that is easily assessable.

1. Better grades

By reading the newspaper your grades will go up. This is because by reading different vocabulary and different styles of writing your brain will pick up on these and use the skills when you read or write something. So that means your English grade, your science grade, and history grade will most likely increase. Plus, a study by the Newspaper Association of America shows that when students read newspapers their standardized test scores are better than student who do not read. So, reading The Register may even increase your ACT score by a point or two.

1. Knowing your opinion

By reading the editorials and columns, you can see what Central students actual think and disagree about and learn about where you stand on issues. Because if nothing else, you should know your own opinion, and have facts to back it up.

$975
$1500