Top Five Summer Reads

May 10, 2018

1. The Sun is also a Star by Nicola Yoon

Meet Natasha, a Jamaican immigrant who loves science, and Daniel, and Korean-American who loves poetry. This story takes place during only one day, when Natasha tries to prevent being deported and Daniel is going to a college interview for a school he doesn’t want. They meet on the streets of New York through a series of coincidences, and throughout the day Daniel attempts to convince Natasha that true love is real- through science. This is a great read that both with make the romantic grin and the skeptic smile.

1. War Storm by Victoria Aveyard

The fourth and final book of the Red Queen series comes out on May 15th. Readers have stayed for three years in the world where people with red blood are 2nd class citizens while people with silver are rich and have powers such as controlling fire or metal. Then the main character Mare Barrow comes, a red blooded 18-year-old with the ability to control lighting. Throughout the series you see her grow through betrayals, revelations, and captures. For the new reader start with the first book and enjoy! This series is a great new fantasy, with a Game of Thrones/Hunger Games/X-men combination.

1. The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

We all want to improve in some way or another, whether it’s school, sports, work, or freedom. This book is for everyone who wishes they were just a little bit more productive or who want to accomplish something this summer. This non-fiction book breaks down what a habit it, how they are formed, and how to change them. They investigate products like Febreze (an unsuccessful business until thing was changed), people like Martin Luther King Jr. (nonviolent civil right leader), and companies like Starbucks and Target. The Power of Habit helps the reader to understand how they can choose simple habits to focus on that can change their life.

1. The Power by Naomi Alderman

In this novel, the author uses 4 different narrators to tell the story of how the world changed so now that women were now in power. This came because teenage girls gained power through a new organ of the body called the skein, which allows teenage girls and eventually older women to electrocute others by touching. Experience how the world would change if women were in charge, and these four narrators manage learn about how the world was before women were in charge, and how the lead their lives in a gender-flipped world. A new dystopian that will make you think about gender-roles this summer, while still being an enjoyable and interesting read.

1. One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Five students walk into detention: the athlete Cooper, the criminal Nate, the brain Bronwyn, the beauty Addy, and the outcast Simon; but Simon never walked out. He had planned to reveal secrets about the students the next day, so now all four are suspects. Was it one of the four? What secrets will be revealed? This is an intriguing mystery for students who want to see The Breakfast club with a criminal twist.

$975
$1500