Senior finds love of performing

September 27, 2018

Jesse White is a well-known name in the performing arts department. The senior participates in band (percussion), jazz band (bass), CHS Singers, a cappella, and drama productions. One might think that you can only pull off doing all of those if you’ve been doing all of them for a long time. But, relatively speaking, Jesse’s pretty new on the scene. 

His first time auditioning for a musical was last year for the school production of Grease and he started a cappella that year as well.  

“I just kind of dived headfirst into everything performing arts,” he said, “If I don’t do it in high school I know I’m going to regret it.” 

Of course, it can be rough joining any new club or activity. It can be especially daunting when the new activity is drama and you land a lead role your first time through. 

“I kind of lucked out,” Jesse said regarding his role as Danny Zuko in the production of Grease last fall. “I just had so many people who wanted me to be in it. I had so many friends in drama, so I was like ‘well I gotta try out’ and I ended up getting the lead role.” 

Jesse’s interest in the arts didn’t just appear out of nowhere. 

“[I’ve been doing] instrumental music since fifth grade,” He said, “Ever since I was first allowed to do band I’ve been doing percussion … and then just picked up bass on the side and that was my main gig for a long time.” 

Jesse auditioned for CHS Singers and jazz band and at the beginning of this year. He also auditioned for this fall’s musical, Guys and Dolls, where he once again played a lead role as Nathan Detroit. 

Of course, it is the painful role of a senior in high school to consider what they want to study and do for the rest of their lives. For some, the classes and extracurriculars they take can have a huge effect on them, and Jesse is no exception. 

“I’m really into computer science,” he said, “I take a bunch of classes here at school. But ever since I’ve hopped into the drama scene, now I can go into theater because I’m really enjoying it and really liking it, or I could major in music.” 

If you go to a band concert, choir concert, play, roadshow, or anywhere the drumline is you’ll be sure to see Jesse in action and catch a glimpse of what might be the next thing. 

$975
$1500