Central Football Team Welcomes Returning Quarterback

Junior Abraham Hoskins and the varsity football team are well into their 2018 season. Through five games, the Eagles were sitting with a record of 2-3, a mark already well ahead of last year’s team that end up 0-9. The program has not been to the state playoffs in three years, but still have an outside chance to make it this year with three games left. To even have this chance is a testament to how well Central has handled adversity. They are now on their third coach in as many years, and had a 3-15 combined record in 2016 and 2017. Perhaps nobody has had to handle as much adversity as Hoskins though.  

Last year, Hoskins was in his first year with the varsity team. He ended up winning the starting quarterback job for the season opener. However, in just the second game of the year, he injured his wrist and was sidelined for the rest of the year. The junior admitted “it was pretty hard” coming back from the injury.  “There’s always, that mental part of coming back,” he said.  “You think you’re going to get hurt again, (so) rehab was pretty tough and, you just have to be mentally strong (in) coming back and (being) ready to play again.”  

His first game back Hoskins completed 50 percent of his passes and threw for a touchdown with no interceptions. On the ground he ran the ball six times for 104 yards and three touchdowns. Central routed Benson 52-26. The next two games Central played the top two teams in state, and what many people consider to be the best defensive player in Nebraska, Nick Henrich. Henrich committed to play for Scott Frost and Nebraska earlier this year. In that game, Henrich had 12 solo tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss.  “It was a great experience, and it’s always fun going against great competition, and seeing how you compare against them,” Hoskins said. Hoskins completed 17/26 passes for 133 yards and a touchdown.  

The following week Central played Bryan and won 60-14 for their second win of the year. Hoskins credits Central’s improvement to “executing better” and being more discipline on both sides of the ball. He also said, “we have a lot more structure, there is a lot more people that care to play, last year was not as disciplined, not much focus. This year coach Landstrom has done a good job, give a lot of credit to him, of keeping everyone in line, and making sure that our goal is to win games.”  

In order for Central to make the state playoffs for the first time since Hoskins was in middle school, Central will have to finish well down the stretch. Hoskins said Central’s goals for the rest of the season are, “executing at a higher level and make bigger plays.” He also said, “Since we have a lot of the young players coming in everybody’s getting their game by game experience under their belt so now everyone’s [playing, so] there should be a little control out there. [We] know how to do this and get out there and make plays and have fun.”   

Hoskins said his goal is to do their best to make the playoffs. He is happy that Central has improved from last year.  He hopes that the program can build off their improvements. Hoskins also said that, “I want to pass for 1000 yards” before he is done at Central. 

$975
$1500