Netflix’s The Innocents thrills audiences with compelling story

Netflix is pleasing audiences again with its new sci-fi-drama-thriller series The Innocents. The show can’t really be put into a preset category, you have to watch it yourself and come to your own conclusion. The show is like a supernatural thriller mixed with a love story, with some very interesting plot twists, but don’t worry, I won’t spoil it.

The show revolves around June McDaniel, (played by Sorcha Groundsell) who has a rare ability to enter other peoples’ bodies, which is known as shifting. As June is learning how to navigate the adult world, she also has to learn how to deal with her rare ability. June lives with her father, John, (Sam Hazeldine) and brother Ryan (Arthur Hughes). She has a rough home life because her mother mysteriously disappeared three years ago, and her father is trying to take her to a remote Scottish island.

Due to her family troubles, June plots to run away with her high school sweetheart Harry Polk (Percelle Ascot). Almost as soon as they leave town, their plans go awry, and June discovers her ability to shift. Meanwhile, in Norway, Dr. Ben Halvorson (Guy Pierce) is attempting to bring June to his remote farm, known as “Sanctum,” where she can be “re-centered.”

The British TV series premiered on August 24th. The show was created by Hania Elkington and Simon Duric and directed by Farren Blackburn and Jamie Donoughue. It was primarily filmed in the town of Skipton, in Yorkshire, England, with major parts filmed in Norway as well. The show features eight episodes, each about 45 to 55 minutes in length, with only one season as yet.

The Innocents is overall a good series, and it’s worth the time it takes to watch. The best thing about the innocents is the unexpected turning points in the plot. The show was produced in such a way to make viewers expect a certain thing to happen, and then something totally unforeseen happens. It keeps viewers on the edge of their seat throughout the series.

Another good aspect of the show is the fact that it blends different genres. The Innocents is part sci-fi, part supernatural thriller, and part love story. The blending of the genres is well executed, the story is cohesive, and not choppy, as many films and series that attempt to mix genres are. It’s a heartwarming tale of young lovers mixed with suspense and thrilling action scenes.

Of course, no TV series is perfect, and The Innocents does have its flaws. One of which is the season’s ending. There’s not much I can say about it without spoiling it, but it’s just disappointing, but definitely surprising. Another flaw is the show’s unnecessary lingering on certain events, which was either an attempt to gain shock value, as those scenes were typically the more “edgy” parts of the series, or an effort to use up empty time in the episodes. Either way, it was a somewhat cheap move, and the show’s writers should have come up with something more relevant to the plot.

Even though the series is somewhat flawed, it’s still a darn good TV show. The creators definitely put a lot of effort into it, though maybe not as much as they should have. The Innocents is worth watching for anyone who enjoys a serious, emotional series. It’s frequent plot twists and surprise ending keep viewers engaged and entertained.

$975
$1500