Despite the 0-6 Start, Frost, Nebraska Will be Fine

Five National Championships, three Heisman Trophies, nearly 900 wins, 46 conference championships, 53 bowl game appearances, and as of October 19, 0-6. Yep, that is zero wins and six losses. The worst start in the proud 128-year history of the Nebraska Football program. With it, a 10-game losing streak going back to last season, the longest losing streak in school history by 3 games.  The start to the Scott Frost era at Nebraska has not been anything anybody ever expected. But, for all the losses, there is still no doubt that Frost will eventually get this right, and everyone just needs to be patient. 

September 1, 2018 was supposed to be a great day in this state, the governor even proclaimed it a state holiday in honor of the Huskers kicking off the Frost era. Instead, the contest against Akron featured one kickoff for a touchback and the game was then cancelled because of weather. Nebraska proceeded to lose to Colorado the following week, after being down 14-0, and then blowing a 28-20 lead. Seven days later against Troy, Nebraska was down 17-0 before rallying to make it a game, and then falling 24-19. Then, the Big debacle at the Big House: Nebraska trailed Michigan 39-0 at halftime.  

Frost proclaimed that to be rock bottom, and in many ways, it has. But Nebraska had still not been able to get in the win column. The week after Michigan, Nebraska jumped up 7-0, but then gave up 27 unanswered points to Purdue, en route to a 42-28 loss. Against Wisconsin, the Huskers had a chance to go into the locker down only 13-10, the halftime deficit was 20-3. The week after that, it looked like Frost’s crew was finally going to win a game. They had led 28-14 in the fourth quarter and 31-21 with 170 ticks left, but Northwestern forced overtime and won in the extra period. Even with all this losing, there is still so much reason for optimism and the outlook of this program. 

The main reason Nebraska is not 3-3, 4-2, or even 5-1, is not talent, it is not coaching, it is turnovers, but mostly those darned yellow flags. Of the 130 FBS teams, nobody has committed more penalties than the Huskers through October 15. They have cost the Huskers at least two games and probably three. Nebraska outgained Colorado by 170 yards and outrushed them by nearly 300 yards. They still lost. Against Purdue, the Huskers outgained the Boilermakers by 66 yards, and outrushed them by 71 yards. The Huskers still lost. Penalties also played a key role in the Northwestern loss as well. Nebraska got flagged 10 times, including a late hit that gave Northwestern life on its game tying 99-yard touchdown drive. Northwestern got flagged once for five yards. If Nebraska commits 50% fewer penalties in those games, the Huskers right now are 3-3. Even though it is maddening, penalties are the easiest thing for a new coaching staff to fix. Much easier than things such as talent.  

In his first recruiting class Frost brought in a ton of good players. The centerpiece of the class was quarterback Adrian Martinez. Martinez won the starting job in fall camp, and in is first five games averaged nearly 300 yards of total offense by himself per game. And he is a true freshman. Martinez’s favorite target is also an underclassman. Sophomore JD Speilman has broken record after record so far in his 1.5 years in Lincoln. Spielman averaged over 90 yards receiving over his first six games and has a good chance to be Nebraska’s first 1000 yards receiver in school history. And he is a sophomore. There is clearly so much potential on the offensive side of the ball. On defense, many of the starters are being coached by their third defensive coordinator in as many seasons. Nebraska has had plenty of coverage busts, and defensive breakdowns, but that is to be expected in installing a new defensive scheme. Nebraska sacked Colorado quarterback Steven Montez seven times in the season opener. The potential is clearly there. 

The 2018 season will probably end a week from tomorrow against Iowa, a game Nebraska has not won in 4 years. Regardless of record, Nebraska needs to start beating Iowa again, and they will have a shot next Friday. After that, the players returning next year will get another winter of a Zach Duval strength program. Then, it is 15 crucial practices in the Spring to continue learning both the offensive and defensive systems. Also, the culture that Frost wants to set will begin to take full effect by the time Spring camp ends. After that, it is a summer of anticipation and waiting for what could shaping up to be one of the most import seasons in program history.  

Nebraska is going to be fine, there is no need to panic or start doubting Frost. He has talent, the defensive breakdowns and penalties will get cleaned up over time, and his culture has not quite taken shape. I still think year two is going to be the year the Huskers show significant progress. With that being said, September 28, 2019, could be a very special day at Memorial Stadium.  

$975
$1500