Struggles of high school students

Mackenzie Coughlin, Staff Writer

Every high school student can relate to the daily struggles of balancing school, homework, family, friends, extra-curricular activities and so many more things with only so much time in the day. There are times where situations in everyone’s lives can get very overwhelming and it becomes difficult to handle. In honor of those day to day difficulties and occurrences, I am going to highlight some of them, in hopes of feeling connected to others in my same position.
First off, probably the most common situation that we all can agree on is the amount of homework given each night. Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to be fully prepared for college, and know what it’s like to experience heavy work loads, but I am still in high school and want to experience other things rather than completing assignments all the time.
I think every student has said of thought this sometime in their school career, “but why do teachers give out so much homework when it only ends up being more work for them to grade it?”
Another phenomenon that I don’t understand is the ability of time to completely fly by. I tell myself every day that I will start and finish all of my homework right when I get home, maybe I’ll allow ten minutes on my phone, but by some magic that ten minutes turns into half an hour and into eight o’clock. Maybe it’s just me procrastinating, but I’ll feel like I wasn’t even on my phone for that long.
Along with all of the worksheets and projects to work on, most high school students are involved in extra-curricular activities, taking more time away from sleep, homework, and just doing everyday tasks.
Personally, I have dance team practice at 6:30 in the morning everyday at school. Not only do I have to wake up ridiculously early, but it I had to stay up late doing homework the night before, I’d be running on about three hours of sleep. Yay.
A topic that is well known and loathed by about every person is fake friends. “Fake” meaning not genuine and talking behind your back. Unfortunately, high school has a lot of that type of person. It is difficult at times to decide whether or not to associate with someone, and to find the right people that bring out the best in you. But once a person does find that perfect group of friends, high school becomes a little bit better.
Sorry, that’s all I have time to say. I need to go finish my math, English, science, history and French homework now. See you at school tomorrow!