Central has lack of political diversity, no political conversation

December 17, 2018

Central is known for its extreme diversity in nearly all aspects, however Central lacks a lot of political diversity. The majority of Central has very strong democratic beliefs, which is not an issue, but it quickly becomes an issue when communication is sacrificed. People can have their own opinions, and often times people who go to Central are informed about their beliefs. Yet, many people are quick to judge those who have opposing views.  

The majority of Central students have very democratic ideals. In the last two years, Central has had two political protests one about the election of President Donald Trump and remembering the victims of the Parkland School shooting. While these protests were just, people who disagreed with the message were quickly ridiculed. Students refuse to hear opposing views and will only listen to students who have the same ideas as themselves. Even when issues are not about social issues, people who are not considered democrats are immediately ignored, talked over, or attacked for their beliefs. 

It is not only the students that make communication difficult. Many teachers make thinly veiled jokes or stories that attack political beliefs they disagree with. It is not uncommon for a teacher to say that a person is ‘free to express their opinion’ in a way that makes it obvious that the only allowed opinions are those that they agree with. Some teachers are even willing to go as far as attacking students’ beliefs or saying they don’t know what they are talking about as soon as they disagree.  

This is not only an issue brought on by democrats, when in large number, republicans also often refuse to listen to what the democrats have to say. They are quick to shut down the oppositions views and only listen to what other republicans say. However, this is less of an issue with Republicans than Democrats because there is a much smaller number of Democrats than there are Republicans.  

The biggest issue facing Central is the lack of conversation surrounding politics. Central is riddled with confirmation basis, and people only talk to people who they agree with. If people were able to have more open conversation, there would be less issues surrounding politics and there would be better communication.  

$975
$1500