Here We Go Agian

This has been a big year for Central’s performing arts and Music departments, with the retirement of Former Central Band Director and Department Chair, Peter Wilger, and the appointment of New band director, Dr. Evan Lee, Central’s instrumental music classes and activities are changing, evolving, and even expanding. As Some of you may recall, Dr. Lee and assistant Band Director, Sarah Stratton decided to reinstate the Central Color Guard this year.  

Dr. Evan Lee the expansion of Central’s Performing Arts Department doesn’t just stop there. As part of Dr. Lee’s plan to make the band “visible” here at Central, he is adding Winter Arts this year.  For now, Central’s Winter Arts, includes a winter Drumline and a Winter guard. Both the Winter Drumline and the Winter Guard will compete in the Omaha Winter circuit  this season.  

While the Color Guard consisted of 9 members, it is unclear, as it is quite early in the season, how many members, (new and veteran), winter guard will be comprised of.  As of now, Coach Kira Hannon estimates that the team will consist of 7 members; 3 veterans; Max Heyden, Sarah Overbeck, and Mia Dempsey, as well as 4 new recruits. 

Max Heyden choose to stay with Central and his teammates for Winter Guard, despite earning a place on a much older and more well-known Winter Guard here in the Midwest region of America. The winter guard season started in late November and will go through the start of March. Practices are currently Wednesdays 6pm to 8pm and Saturday mornings 8:30 am- 12, and the tentative schedule for performances lists at least four competitions, all on Saturdays.  

Winter Guard, like Color Guard, tells a story through dance and flag work, however Winter Guard uses a soundtrack instead of a live marching band, and is performed in a gym instead of on the football field. Without a band to share the floor with, and determine the theme, the winter guard show has the potential to be bigger and bolder. 

Best wishes to the team as they make Central history and represent the school in a whole new area. The competition won’t know what to expect when Central’s new Winter guard takes the floor.  Winter guard gives the team another shot at being a part of another exciting milestone in Central’s history, a as well as serves as a last hurrah, for senior Maxwell Heyden.  

$975
$1500