Foundation moves from 18th Street location

Since 2011, the Central High School Foundation has worked out of offices at 18th and Harney, what was once the original downtown Omaha library. Now, they’re on the move. The Foundation will be taking up office space at 13th and Nicholas in the new Millwork Commons development. 

Built in 1891, the former-library building at 18th and Harney is firmly rooted in Omaha’s history. The library closed in 1977 as the current W. Dale Clark Main Library was opened, and it was renovated into office space.  

“We do really enjoy the proximity to the school,” said Michele Roberts, the executive director of the Central High School Foundation, “Many of our alumni enjoy visiting us in what they remember as the downtown library when they were in high school.” 

Recently, the Omaha Housing Authority agreed to sell its current headquarters to Douglas County and move to the space currently occupied by the Foundation. The purchase of the current OHA headquarters will have the added city benefit of making way in the planning and construction of a new juvenile justice campus. 

The Foundation serves as a “liaison” between Central and the community. While considering where the new headquarters will be, they kept their core values in mind. 

“We wanted to make sure we stayed downtown, close to the school, as well as have offices in a building that felt like us and was a part of Omaha’s history,” Roberts said. 

The Mastercraft building in the $300 million Millwork Commons development seemed a good fit. Located at 13th and Nicholas, the new offices span 2,200 square feet, a step up from the former library’s 1,350.  

“We are very excited about the new Millwork Commons development and being part of a collaborative community designed to inspire and support the work of innovators and creators,” Roberts said. “Office spaces in Millwork Commons will be designed with tech companies, entrepreneurs, educational and community organizations in mind.” 

While the move will ultimately be a good thing for the Foundation’s growing staff, Roberts said the timing has become a stressor. 

“We are very busy with the arts and library addition, which will be completed in March 2019,” she said, “We are now having to work simultaneously on our buildout for our new office. It has to be completed, and we have to move in, by March 31, 2019. But, overall it is a positive!”

$975
$1500