Review: Good Trouble; The Fosters spin-off

Mackenzie Coughlin, Staff Writer

If you were a fan of the five-season Freeform show, “The Fosters,” then you are sure to love its spin-off series called “Good Trouble.” It follows two of the main characters, Callie (Maia Mitchell) and Mariana (Cierra Ramirez) Adams-Foster, around Los Angeles as they fight the battles of living alone after college.

The first episode of the thirteen-episode series aired at the beginning of January and already has an extremely large following. Many did not want “The Fosters” to come to an end, so hearing that it would be continued in a different way was very exciting.

“The Fosters” is mostly known by its large mixed family and how they sort through high school drama and relatable family situations. “Good Trouble” does still have that family aspect, but in a slightly different way. Because Callie and Mariana have moved away, they must rely on each other much more and create a family out of strangers in their apartment building.

As for the drama that the two face, it has definitely intensified. They no longer put up with jealous high school friends or immature boyfriends, but do figure out how to pay rent and juggle work with outside life.

Although “The Fosters” dealt with a wide range of topics and scenarios that one could come across, there will be even more in “Good Trouble.” The two main characters will meet a new group of young adults with their own stories to share. This way the show can relate to many people.

When I heard that there was going to be a spin-off series to “The Fosters,” I was very intrigued because after finishing the show, I felt that there was much more to the story. After watching the premier of “Good Trouble,” I definitely recommend tuning in to Freeform on Tuesday nights.

The title of the show, “Good Trouble,” might throw some off, for it is an interesting oxymoron. The title is derived from a quote that explains it is necessary to get in trouble in order to create change and to learn from one’s mistakes. This fits perfectly since Callie and Mariana must learn and grow from their setbacks as young adults.