High school students’ brains overworked

Mackenzie Coughlin, Staff Writer

As a part of everyone’s daily life, there are plenty of moments of excitement as well as stress. Depending on the person, these stress levels vary, but may not always be recognized or handled. When one lets too much stress build up, many problems can arise.

This may be unheard of to some, but brain burnout, or brain fried syndrome, is a real thing that we all experience at some point throughout our lives. For some, it is much more often than others. Because of this, it is very important that those with high stress levels take the time to relax their brains and step back from the rush of normal life for a few seconds.

Brain burnout is mostly caused by heavy emotional stress that the common person comes across in many aspects of life. The looming stress in everyone’s life has become so normal and excessive that some have become numb to it. This is a problem because too much emotional stress can lead to much more extensive measures of burnout including physical fatigue, changes in eating habits, social withdrawal, anxiety, depression, etc.

The ways many acquire this well-known burnout tend to be from school, work or personal situations. To narrow that down, an assumption is made that the majority of high school students today have experienced a brain burnout or two from the high stress levels accompanied with school. This can create a disastrous chain of events that lead to a student’s drop in grades and academic success.

High school can be a very stressful time for students, with many contributing factors like homework, bad grades, extra-curricular activities, friends, etc. It is important that students realize for themselves when they need to take a break or slow down from their normal pace of life, although, this can be extremely difficult when slowing down is nowhere near an option when it comes to school work.

The overall school system is designed to push students to their academic limits, but more stress occurs when these limits are reached. The mental health and well-being of students should be taken more into account when assigning hours upon hours of work each night.