Eco Emma: reusable cotton rounds

August 29, 2019

For many, skincare and makeup routines involve a lot of disposable products. Whether it’s cotton rounds for applying toner or cotton balls to be soaked in nail polish remover, many of us don’t register how much we throw away at the vanity mirror. These products are expensive when bought regularly and take five to six months to decompose. Thankfully, there is an easy, reusable alternative.  

You can make your own cotton applicators. DIY cotton rounds might sound like a lot of work, but if you have a rag lying around, you can make dozens 

First things first, find an old cloth. It could be a rag, washcloth or tea towel, whatever you have lying around. Try to avoid rags that are greasy or too dirty. This is more for looks than anything, but you never know what could have caused that stain.  

Fold the cloth in half and start tracing. For the least amount of waste and the most individual cotton rounds as possible, I recommend rectangles or squares. Two inches should be a good size but try to get as many out of your cloth as possible. For a more traditional cotton round look, trace a cotton round or the bottom of a glass. Put a pin in the center of each shape to hold the two parts together after you cut them out.  

When you cut out your shapes, it’s time to sew. This part can be intimidating if you haven’t sewn in a while (or ever). The most basic method would be a running stitch. This is your most basic stitch and can be accomplished by hand or with a sewing machine. However, I prefer a blanket stitch for looks. Either one can easily be found on wikiHow. Just go around the edge, sewing the two pieces of fabric together.  

After you’ve sewn everything, you need to wash your cotton rounds. There will probably still be lines from when you traced them out on the cloth, but if you just throw two-by-twoinch squares in your washing machine, you’ll never see them again. Get a closable mesh bag to wash them in like the kind that you’d use to wash baby socks. Your cotton rounds will get cleaned, but not lost. 

These wipes can be used to take off nail polish, apply toner or take off makeup. The possibilities are almost limitless since you’ll be able to wash them. Put them wherever you put your cotton balls or Q-tips.  

There are so many environmentally friendly alternatives to everyday items. The amount of trash we produce is astonishing and any reduction can do a lot of good. I know a cotton ball a day doesn’t sound like a lot, but it adds up quick in a landfill. The planet is in a state of chaos. It’s far past time that we fix our lifestyles to save it. Little things like reusable cotton wipes will go a long way when made part of a daily Earth-friendly routine.  

$975
$1500