The best places to hike in Omaha

October 1, 2019

Hiking has been a pastime enjoyed by just about anyone. It is a great way to get in exercise while getting a chance to explore nature. Especially in an urban city like Omaha, there are misconceptions that it is hard to find a place to hike, and that it is difficult and dangerous. However—in addition to being fun—hiking is also proven to strengthen the bones, improve balance, improve blood pressure, and alleviate stress. The fact is, there are so many places in Omaha where one can discover their new-found love for hiking. These trails are scattered all throughout the area and have a wide range of elevation and difficulty levels.

1. Wehrspann Lake Trail (Chalco Hills Recreation Area)
    The Wehrspann Lake Trail is a 6.9-mile trail with an elevation gain of 282 feet. Because Wehrspann is suitable for all skill levels, people can bike, walk, run, fish, and take their kids and dogs on the adventure (as long the dogs are on the leash). People can access this trail all year round.
  2. Hackberry, Hawthorn, Chickadee, Hickory, and Ridge Trail (Fontenelle Forest Nature Area)
    This trail is 5.3 miles long with an elevation gain of 780 feet and is rated as a moderately-skilled trail. It is mainly used for hiking and trail running, in addition to nature trips. In order to be on the trail, people must pay the Fontenelle’s admission price of $9.50. People can access this trail all year round.
  3. Tranquility Trail
    The Tranquility Trail is 2.9 miles long with an elevation gain of 206 feet. It is in Northwest Omaha, between 120th and 132nd St, and between Fort and Maple St. Despite its distance, it offers a wide range of different terrains, including pine trees and grasslands. This trail is great for hiking and can also be used to ride a bike or run on. Dogs can be brought along but must be on a leash. People can access this trail all year round.
  4. Keystone Trail
    The Keystone Trail is 19.3 miles long with an elevation gain of 495 feet. The trail stretches from Democracy Park at 88th and Fort to Hayworth Park in Bellevue. Not only is it used for hiking/walking, people also use it to bike and run on parts of the trail. It is rated as a moderately-skilled trail and is open from 5 A.M. to 11 P.M. all year round.
  5. Big Papio Trail
    The Big Papio Trail is 18.7 miles long with an elevation gain of 367 feet. Throughout the trail, one can pass up to six different parks, and be met with multiple changes in scenery along the way. It is an ideal trail for hiking, as well as biking and running. People can access this trail all year round.

$975
$1500