Girl Up begins second year

Girl Up is continuing as a club for its second year with two new leaders. As Girl Up gains more recognition at Central, the club plans on expanding its influence.

Girl Up is “a global movement of empowered young women leaders who defend gender equality.” It was founded by the United Nations Foundation in 2010 and continues to work across a global community of partners to achieve gender equality worldwide.

This global outreach and influence are possible through the creation of Girl Up clubs all over the world. These clubs aim to support Girl Up through education, fundraising, advocacy and service. Many high schools in Omaha have established Girl Up clubs, and Central has joined the cause.

Seniors Hanna Leslie and Kaya Koraleski have helped the club be able to continue its outreach in the downtown Omaha community.
Sophomore Makenna Anderson is excited to participate in Girl Up again. She believes that the club will accomplish more this year.

“Last year, it was kind of rough because we were just getting on our feet. This year, we can just take the training wheels off. I think we are more organized and will raise a lot more money,” Anderson said.

She originally joined Girl Up because the philosophy resonated deeply with her, and she wanted to make a difference in the community.

“I really like the empowerment of women and I consider myself a feminist,” Anderson said. “Striving for equality is something everyone should be doing and Girl Up is a great way to take steps towards that goal.”

She has a few female role models who inspire her to take the extra step in making an impact and supporting others.

“I am inspired by Michelle Obama; she is a boss. I’m also inspired by my eighth-grade teacher, Mrs. Pruitt. She is always herself and is a strong woman who doesn’t apologize for what she believes in. She is nice, gentle and caring, yet still has a strong side,” Anderson exclaimed.

To anyone thinking about joining Girl Up Club at Central, Anderson has a message to share.

“People of all genders should join Girl Up. It’s more a message of equality and shouldn’t be confused with the thought that women are better than men,” Anderson said. “It’s inspiring to see people come together to support others.”

$975
$1500