Behind the Scenes

Central’s tech crew has started working on the fall production of Hairspray. The drama department has many tech positions for costumes, makeup, sound, scenery/deck, props, publicity, stage manager, assistant stage manager, rigging, assistant director, production assistant, student technical director and projectionsAll crews work on all aspects of each show 

“The amount of people on tech tends to vary from showtoshow, but for Hairspray, we already have 50 or 60 tech people, which is more normal.” sophomore stage manager Israel Bryant said 

Tech crew meets every weekday from 3:25 p.m. to about 5:10 p.m. when the rehearsals for the show are just beginning. After the show is over, tech meets one more time for strike where they take down the set and get everything ready for their next project.  

“As we get closer to the show date, the hours get longer and longer,” Bryant said 

It is not common to think of the people who are responsible for sets, props, lights, sound and costumesThe tech crew works behind the scenes and the only time the audience really gets to see them is when props or sets change, or when the show is overDue to this, they do not receive a lot of credit for all the work they put into every show.  

“I wish people knew that tech is just as much as a commitment as a sport. It might not seem like it, but the amount of time, sweat, blood (I’m clumsy) and teamwork tech puts into every show is a lot and that needs to be understood,” Bryant explains. 

Tech crew is a vital part of every production.” Bryant said.  Without tech crew, there would be no lights, props, microphones, set pieces, costumes, makeup or sound and no one to open and close the curtains; no one would know that the show is going on. With no tech, there would be no show.  

“An assumption I would like to get rid of about tech is that what we do is easy and not hard to do. We work extremely hard and, yes, sometimes things are not perfect, but that’s life.”  Bryant says. 

Hairspray opens Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. and there is another showing on Nov. 3 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tech is always looking for more help and it is a way to get involved. It is important to give the tech crew the recognition they deserve.  

“The tech at Central is unique because we build and present almost every aspect ourselves. No one comes in and does our work for us.” Bryant said.  

$975
$1500