Fall and winter activities

October 8, 2019

The seasons are changing. Summer has bid farewell and is making room for the cooler, crisper days of fall and winter. The lemonade and popsicles become pumpkin spice lattes and apple pie. For some, the end of summer may be equivalent to the end of fun times. I’m afraid they are sadly mistaken. These summer loving folks are missing out on the true greatness of the cooler seasons.

There are plenty of amazing things about fall, including the outdoor activities. Going to an apple orchard with friends and family is one way to get into the fall spirit. One can enjoy the beautiful colors of the leaves and some apple cider. Apple orchards typically offer hayrack rides, which is another fun activity to do with friends. There are plenty of apple orchards in the Omaha area, including Ditmars and Vala’s.

Another common activity during fall is to go to a pumpkin patch. Similar to an apple orchard, pumpkin patches allow people to enjoy nature and have fun with friends. Groups can compete to see who can find the best pumpkin in the patch. Some of the pumpkin patches in Omaha have other attractions as well. For example, Vala’s has rides, animals, mazes, trails and lots of photo opportunities.

Halloween is one of the best parts of the fall season. On gloomy days, have a Halloween movie marathon. Find some classics on Netflix or rent them off Amazon. “Hocus Pocus”, “Halloweentown”, and “Coraline are a few fan favorites. If you want to get fancy, bake some Halloween cookies to snack on during the movies.

Hosting a bonfire is a wonderful way to spend time with loved ones. It can be very relaxing to sit around the warmth of a fire on a cool night and talk. Grab a blanket and cozy up with some hot chocolate. Share ghost stories, or any stories for that matter. Introduce some s’mores into the mix and it’s a party.

As the weather transitions into wintertime, there are still plenty of ways to have fun. Make the most of those snow days by going sledding and having a massive snowball fight. Heck, even make some snow angels. Who says these things are just for kids? No one. Exactly.

Be traditional – spend a day baking holiday treats and listening to some classic holiday music. Nothing spreads the holiday cheer quite like gingerbread cookies and “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.”

Again, watch some classic Christmas movies to get in the spirit of the holiday season. There are dozens of fantastic films to choose from. Some of the most beloved are Elf, A Christmas Story, Polar Express and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Clearly there are plenty of fun things to do during fall and winter. Summer may be great for swimming and ice cream, but apple-picking and cookie-baking is just as entertaining. With all these activities, you won’t even think about the fact that it’s -5 degrees outside. Stay warm and have fun!

$975
$1500