Internet is Terrible

October 16, 2019

Humans rely way too much on the internet. The internet is used as a tool, for entertainment and for many other things. Its something most people can’t live without. In the U.S., 85 percent of adults alone use the internet on a mobile device. It has become an addiction for some people, and while it may be furthering our advancements, it is being used in an unhealthy way. It is true that the internet provides people with a way to communicate with each other and further our knowledge, but it can also do so much more.  

Central High School serves as an example of overreliance on the internet: when the internet crashes, most teachers can’t teach because all their materials and lessons are online. The internet is important in modern day society, but people shouldn’t be putting all off their trust into it.  

Teenagers are the most affected by the internet. In the U.S., 95 percent of teenagers are connected to the internet, and 85 percent are on social media. On social media, cyberbullying is taking place now more than ever. The top sites with the most reported cyberbullying, in order, are Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. Out of those who said they have been cyberbullied, 64 percent of them say it affected their ability to learn and feel safe at school. These students are most likely to fail classes and/or suffer from mental illnesses.  

Technology, as a whole, has been proven to affect sleep in a negative way. Teenagers are supposed to be getting at least seven hours of sleep or more, but smartphones and the internet are getting in the way. If a student isn’t receiving enough sleep, they are proven to not perform their best at school.  

Overall, the new generation is suffering the most from the overusage of technology in general.  

$975
$1500