Fashion trends of every decade

Sophia Sgourakis, Staff Writer

Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year!888utt We welcome a revamped Register for Central teachers, students and families. As we move into the 2020 year, it is easy to try and remember what has changed in the past ten, twenty, thirty and even forty years. With my columns, you will be reminded what were the hottest albums, movies, trends and more from decades ago. For the November issue, we will take a look at fashion trends from years ago. Happy throwback!

2010s:
Peplum tops
“Dad shoes”: whether you love or hate them, this controversial shoe is seen everywhere whether it be in casual outfits or dressy attire
Crop tops
Neutral colored clothing
Off the shoulder tops: according to Seventeen magazine, searches for the style increased by 238% in 2016
Patterned suits
Mom jeans: a lot of the trends we see now are ones that are brought up from the past again; finally, mom jeans are being accepted again
2000s:
Livestrong bracelets: in 2004, it became very popular to rep your favorite causes in the brand’s one-size-fits-all silicone bracelet
Low rise jeans
Denim on denim: Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake likely started this trend at the 2001 American Music Awards
Halter tops
Juicy Couture tracksuits: thanks to Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton, this trend became very popular in the spring of 2001
UGG boots
Capris
1990s:
Dr. Martens: at this time, the brand’s classic black boots were among the most popular shoe on the market.
Plaid everything
Overalls: this trend became so popular among men and women that the style varied depending on the season
Flared jeans
Scrunchies: when scrunchies started coming back in style recently, people from this decade couldn’t believe it
1980s:
Faux fur: in 1989, many people protested the use of real fur in fashion, which resulted in faux fur becoming trendy
Pinstripe pants
Leg warmers
Black and white color combinations: a Macy’s catalog from 1982 shows that these two colors were worn in formal ensembles and with lace accessories
Clothes with voluminous shoulders
Suspenders: as suits would go out of fashion, people put new spins to fancy attire for men such as adding suspenders
Side ponytails