OPS does not actually use standards based grading, instead uses assessment based grading

Within the last ten years, the Omaha Public Schools system has seen many different grading scales. These changes include the switch to what OPS considers standards based grading, rather than what most school systems use, assessment based grading. While both systems have their benefits, OPS has not truly switched to standards based grading, instead using a slightly modified type of assessment based grading.  

Standards based grading differs from assessment based grading by looking at how skilled a student is at different content standards. This would vary from unit to unit and would give students an accurate view on what content they have the most strength in. For example, in an Algebra class, a student would have a different grade in systems of equations than they do in conic sections.  

This form of grading allows students and teachers to easily find and monitor student strengths and weaknesses. By having each section or type of problem clearly laid out, it becomes easy to see what a student still needs help with versus what skills they have mastered.  

Assessment based grading differs from standards based grading by looking at tests and homework in different categories. This means that different sections of the grade book are not categorized by subject matter. Instead, all of the tests are in one area and all of the homework is in a different area. This creates an easier time of defining the worth of different assignments, but makes it more difficult to identify a student’s strengths and weaknesses.  

The OPS system does not truly use either one of these systems. The district gives teachers a guide of what should be taught within each class, that can easily be considered the standard of the class. However, the grade book is divided into formatives and summatives, which is basically the same division as tests and homework. The OPS grading scale does not divide by subject matter in any way.  

This system offers the benefits of neither standards based grading or assessment based grading, and instead only provides more issues. The OPS grading scale is different from almost every scale in the rest of the country, making it difficult for transfer students to adapt to a new grading scale. It is not easy to identify a students strengths and weaknesses within a unit. It is also not possible for teachers to assign grades how they want to as there is a direct way for grades to be assigned.  

OPS needs to change the grading scale once again and decide if they want to go with standards based grading or assessment based grading instead of going with an in-between solution. OPS is only harming students by using the system that currently exists and overall the grading scale needs to be changed.  

$975
$1500