New NCAA Rule about Name, Image, Likeness

Earlier this year, the state of California ruled that college athletes should be able to profit off of their name, image and likeness. Since then, various other states have introduced and passes similar laws. It is sure to be the beginning of a massive change to the landscape of intercollegiate athletics. Previously, the NCAA had barred any athlete from receiving any compensation, but the NCAA is powerless when it comes to facing the government.

Central head basketball coach, Eric Behrens, said, “I’m not really opposed. I think that college athletics produces a lot of money for a lot of people, other than the athletes themselves, they (the athletes) receive nothing.” Many coaches across college basketball have come out in support of the new law, and even NBA superstar Lebron James, an outspoken critic of the NCAA, was present when the bill signed into law.

Behrens has lots of experience when it comes to college basketball recruiting. He has had many players go on to play major college basketball, during both of his stints as the Eagles head coach. He also has college head coaching experience, as he led Peru State’s program from 2014-2017. Behrens said he will “not do anything with it right now” as it pertains to how he handles his players recruitment in the short term, and, “there’s going to have to be some test cases that come through.” Central seniors Max Polk and Latrell Wrightsell Jr. certainly will be a getting a look from many division one schools this season.

There is no doubt that intercollegiate athletics is entertaining a brave new world. The NCAA has handed schools the death penalty for players profiting off their name, something that now would be considered breaking the law. Behrens said, It is going “to be interesting because I could see things changing.” “Maybe they (The NCAA) kind of pull back the reins a little bit on some of their restrictions for college athletes being able to earn money.” He believes that a change by the NCAA would be necessary because, “out of fear that guys may just start bypassing college and the NBA” or that they, “guys jumping over, maybe playing for a year in Europe and then coming back to the NBA as opposed to the NCAA.”

Another interesting aspect of this is schools such as Creighton have been accused of cheating by the NCAA, because they allegedly let players make money, which was illegal at the time. Investigations into Creighton and other universities are currently ongoing. What happens with those allegations will be facinating to watc

$975
$1500