“High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”

February 2, 2020

Disney Plus has been available for months, and it seems to be a hit with users. Not only does it provide Disney fans with classics from their childhoods, but it also delivers plenty of original series to binge and enjoy. One of the most popular shows on Disney Plus is “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” which is based on the “High School Musical” film series. 

The series follows a group of teenage theater enthusiasts who participate in a staging of High School Musical: The Musical as their school production. The teens attend East High, the original high school of the students in the movies. 

The series stars Olivia Rodrigo as Nini Salazar-Roberts, cast as Gabriella Montez; Joshua Bassett as Ricky Bowen, cast as Troy Bolton; Matt Cornett as E.J. Castwell, cast as Chad Danforth and the understudy for Troy, among many others.  

Those without Disney Plus may find it difficult to see the appeal of the show. Yet, those who do watch it have many pleasant things to say about it. The series has gained recognition through social media platforms such as TikTok, where users make short videos about the show and the characters. 

Sophomore Kenya Winston is one of the fortunate fans of the show. She has been watching since the near beginning of the show, and prides herself on being an original fan. 

I was before the bandwagon. I was before the TikToks. I was the person who posted about it and everyone said, ‘Is it even good? and now look at them,” Winston said jokingly.  

Looking back on watching for the first time, Winston recalls loving everything about the show immediately. 

First impression-loved it, hands down. I saw Joshua Bassett was in it and I knew immediately. I thought it was interesting how they were at the same school as in the movies. As soon as I saw Ricky and Nini I knew I was going to watch for the full 10 weeks,” Winston explained. 

High School Musical has always been close to Winston’s heart. She has been a fan of the movies since childhood. 

“I could show you a video of me singing High School Musical when I was five. It’s on an old camcorder somewhere,” Winston said. 

This lifelong connection to the movies is what makes the show so great for her. Her personal favorite is the last movie. 

My favorite High School Musical movie is Senior Year. It’s really classic; they’re wrapping it up and it’s sad. When season two comes out, I hope they do Senior Year,” Winston said. 

That’s right– “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” has already been approved for a second season. Clearly, Disney Plus is doing something right with this series. Winston, among many other fans, is excited to see what season two has in store for the young actors. 

$975
$1500