Students for Sustainability an upcoming club in Omaha

Students for Sustainability is excited that they are doing good in the community, not only with the youth, but they also have an impact among adult and local government officials.  

September 18, 2020

Students gather for first annual climate strike run by Students for Sustainability in 2019

Students for Sustainability is relatively new to schools across Omaha. Just lasyear, the organization was created by a student at Mercy High school.  

This led to more students joining the club and it became more well-known across Omaha. The mission of the organization is “trying to expose the Omaha community to more sustainable practices.” 

With this in mind, the student run organization decided to gear their efforts to spread awareness to the citizens of Omaha. They focus on getting the attention of citizens and the local government. Camille Beaulieu, the president of Students for Sustainability explains the club further saying, “We want to inform people that every effort towards change matters,” Beaulieu said. Whether that be individual changes like composting, or larger changes like our upcoming climate strike.” 

As president, Camille hosts organization meetingsoversees and helps plan events and activities for members. Some events Students for Sustainability has previously held are climate strikes, and a Cookies+Compost event with Hillside Solutions.  

The organization does have an exciting event coming up, their annual climate strike. The strike will be held Friday, September 25 in front of the Douglas County Courthouse. Everyone is welcome to come show their support. If you are interested, the organization also has an Instagram account and a website, so you can stay informed on upcoming events and meetings.  

The organization has high hopes for this year’s climate strike, after the success of last years. However, with the pandemic occurring, they have not been able to meet in person to discuss things as a group. Before the pandemic, the organization would meet for an hour each week. Now, they meet via zoom every Sunday. 

“Going all virtual definitely is a big change but we try to embrace it as much as we can,” Beaulieu said. “Zoom meetings can range from updates on events and planning events, to brainstorming things to do in the community to spread awareness and make change. 

Beaulieu explains that you can find information to join via social media. They have students who are members that attend Central, Westside, Burke, Benson, and more spread out across the community.  

It’s a good way to meet new people your age who are interested and care about the same things you do. You can be informed and fight for something in your own community that matters.” 

“We are a group of generally high schoolers who have a common goal of making Omaha a better place,” Beaulieu says. “We do that in a variety of activities, but we all do it togetherIt is a good way to make positive change and friends.”  

$975
$1500

$975
$1500