Ways to get involved with election even if you can’t vote

October 16, 2020

With the election only weeks away, it’s a great time to get involved. However, for those who are too young to vote, figuring out how to do that can sometimes be difficult. Below are a few suggestions on how to get involved with the electoral process, even if you can’t vote. 

1. Volunteer for a voter turnout organization: This is a great way to have an impact on a lot of people, and there are many local and national organizations that need all the volunteers they can get right now. These groups do phone banking, texting, voter registration, and more, and most have no age restriction. A quick Google search will provide you with plenty of options.
  2. Volunteer for a campaign: This is a great way to support a candidate you like and increase overall voter turnout for most campaigns, both national and local. There isn’t really an age limit on who can volunteer. You can make calls, text, do online organizing, and more. You can find out specific information on how to volunteer for a candidate you like with a simple Google search.
  3. Write lettersWriting letters encouraging potential voters to get out and vote can be an effective way to help increase turnout on Election Day. There are a few groups you can do this through, which you can find easily online. They’ll give you a template to follow for your letter and an address and date to send it on. Often, these groups are working to increase voter turnout in marginalized and disadvantaged communities, and their letters have proven to be quite effective.
  4. Sign up to be a poll workerThis is a great way to help out, but sadly, it’s too late to sign up to do this for the upcoming election. However, you can always sign up to be a poll worker for the next one, as long as you’re 16 years old by then. The Douglas County Election Commission has the full information.
  5. Make sure your friends and family are votingThiis an important action to take, and it will have a big impact on the people you talk to. It can be as simple as asking your friends and family members who can vote if they’re registered and have a plan for how they’re going to vote. If they’re not planning to vote, you should encourage them to do so and talk about the issues that are important to you in this upcoming election.
  6. Spread awareness on social mediaMany social media platforms are promoting voter registration, but it doesn’t hurt to repost and share other important information about the election. Of course, you should always check that your information is accurate. This is an easy way to keep people informed, but it also has the lowest impact of the actions on this list. 

These actions can all help increase voter turnout in the upcoming election, and the more you do, the better. Getting your friends and family members to do these things with you will make it more enjoyable and increase your impact. Remember that people who can vote can do these things too, and the more people doing them, the better. 

$975
$1500