Siblings attending different school districts causes danger in pandemic

Mackenzie Coughlin, Staff Writer

It is not uncommon for siblings to attend different high schools in the same city for one school might be more beneficial for a certain student’s goals than another. This normally wouldn’t cause much of an issue besides transportation, but when siblings attend schools in different districts, especially today, there could be many setbacks.
First, different school districts will be on different schedules and have different daily hours. This causes conflicts because if one school district is completely remote and one is going to school normally, it defeats the purpose of staying online because the other student can bring something home to the others. Someone can be doing their part to the fullest by staying home every day, but still get sick due to other school districts following different guidelines.
Families split up into different districts are also affected by Covid-19 due to procedures inside the school. Some schools allow “mask breaks” which are sometimes not monitored as closely as they should be. Some schools will not even let kids face each other in the classroom at six feet apart, while others are sharing supplies and tools in woodshop and culinary classes. Obviously, all materials are sanitized, but that is not 100% fool proof for every use.
When it comes to school and Covid-19, many high schools around the country have chosen to start sports and activities, while many others have chosen to shut everything down until further notice. Students get to experience cheering on their football teams under the Friday night lights and others are left with no season at all. This not only puts remote students at a disadvantage socially but puts the students who are able to go to sporting events at a disadvantage health wise.
The point has been made across the country that the world must move on from living in fear of the pandemic, but what if that lack of consciousness leads to an even greater spread? It is important for students to have good high school experiences, but a good experience when your whole life is ahead of you is not worth contributing to a pandemic during America’s most vulnerable time.