Striv TV makes watching winter sports possible

Striv TV assists students in broadcasting winter sports. Thousands of fans across the metro, and elsewhere, will be able to get an inside look at basketball games, even if they cannot be there physically.

Winter sports are still happening at Central this year, but a key aspect is missing: the fans. Part of what makes the Eagle Nation so special is the energy we bring to our sporting events. Not only are basketball players missing their support group at games, fans definitely miss spectating the games as well.

Fortunately, a streaming service called Striv TV has come to the rescue. With the help of Midland University and the Central High Foundation, students are able to broadcast winter sports online for all of the nest to watch from their respective nests.

The broadcast requires three cameramen, a producer, a director, play-by-play announcer, and an assistant announcer. Journalism and newspaper students were the first ones offered the opportunity to participate in this new endeavor. Training sessions on how to use the equipment occurred prior to the first event, which was the boys’ basketball game on Thursday, Dec. 3.

Filming and streaming went smoothly, thanks to the guidance of Dr. Keith Bigsby and Mr. Nielson. The setup for Central’s streaming was grand in comparison to the iPad and Facebook live utilized by Northwest High that evening. It is expected that Central will inspire other metro area high schools to invest in Striv TV for future sporting events.

Home wrestling meets are also being streamed this season, and it is expected that spring sports will be streamed as well. Watching on a television may not be the full Eagle Experience some are used to, but it’s definitely better than only getting score updates from Twitter.

Getting involved in visual media is a great opportunity for those who see a future career in journalism. The modern world is moving farther and farther from print and written media, but visual content is constantly rising in consumption.

To any Central students interested in being part of the broadcasting crew— contact Mr. Nielson about Striv TV.

$975
$1500