Online school: elementary vs. high school students

Mackenzie Coughlin, Staff Writer

Holding school online at the grade level was something that no one ever expected to happen before the pandemic struck, but it has turned into a new normal for the foreseeable future. Students around the world have had to adjust to learning from their rooms on a computer screen, which has definitely led to setbacks for many. When it comes to the different age levels that have had to migrate to online learning, there are some very noticeable differences that come to mind.  

Telling high school students to log in to a meeting and take notes is not a task that takes much longer than a few seconds. High schoolers are more than mature enough to sit down and give their focus to the teacher while being in a different environment than school. Obviously, this does not go for all high school students, but the majority can get through a class period of online learning without a hassle. On the opposite end of the spectrum, elementary school students do not have the brain power and stamina of high schoolers.  

When children as young as five years old are instructed to log in to a class meeting from home and pay attention while gaining knowledge at the same time, this minuscule task becomes a large feat. It is not right to expect such young minds to receive the proper education they need to move to the next grade level through a computer when most of the time is spent getting distracted and off topic. New measures must be taken to ensure that the young children of today receive the same education that the high schoolers of today did.  

With such critical time for student development being lost, continuing with the online schedule for elementary students would be of little to no benefit for their school career. Missing out on the important times of building social skills, learning math and English basics, and creating a sense of motivation will only put these kids farther behind where they should be. Until students are fully back in classrooms and given proper lessons that are intended to be taught in person, young children will continue to be expected to learn like high schoolers.