Student’s experience with antisemitism in the public school system

February 5, 2021

Earlier this week, The Omaha World Herald reported that a teacher at Westside Middle School had written a Hitler quote on the board for the quote of the day. When I heard about this, I felt a sense of trauma and pain far worse than I did seeing the shirts that read “Camp Auschwitz” and “Six Million Wasn’t Enough” during the insurrection on Jan. 6. It felt like the antisemitism was happening directly to me, because it had, just a few years earlier.  

I’ve been a part of the public education system since elementary schooland went to school a predominately whiteChristian district before coming to Central. I can speak from personal experience that this is not an isolated occurrence. In 7th grade, I was retelling a story from Jewish summer camp to a group of friends before class, and before I was done with my story, one of them interjected. 

What’s the difference between a Jew and a boy scout? he said. 

I played along. I remember my voice quivering, dreading what was to come next. 

The boy scout comes back from camp,” he said, chuckling to his friends.  

I laughed, feeling a pit form in my stomach, but only for a brief moment. 

It’s not like they’re talking about me personally, I thought.  

By the time I got to high schoolI had forgotten about the antisemitic joke entirely. Mostly because there had been a multitude of others since then, and partly because I really believed it was no big deal.  

One day during my sophomore year, I was eating lunch when a boy spotted some change on the ground and tapped me on the shoulder. 

“Don’t you want to pick it up?” hasked.  

He paused a second. 

“Isn’t that what Jews do?” 

laughed once again, as I felt little parts of my Jewish identity being erased.  

The comments started to feel more truthful than hurtfulIf students were being taught this behavior was acceptablemaybe I was the problem? I started to be more conscious about the money I spent around my peers. Never too much, but never too little. I started to grow more distant from the Jewish community, too. It helped put a wall up between the antisemitism and my personal identity. 

I never thought of telling anybody about the incidents I had experienced,  

because it did not feel like it was urgent enough for anyone to take notice. I figured that if anything serious were to happen, someone would intervene. I was wrong 

There were five minutes left in my AP Human Geography class and I was scrolling through Instagram when suddenly I got a text. 

Töten die Juden,” it read. Unable to believe what I was reading, I ran it through an online translator. “Kill the Jews,” it said. My hands began to tremble, as if generations of my ancestors were shaking me awake to the severity of the situation.  

It took a few weeks, but eventually I made it to a trusted adult’s doorway to explain the torment I had faced. Once I started talking, I couldn’t stop. I told them about how unsafe and powerless I felt in this situation that I had convinced myself was my fault. They sat there, staring at me. When I finished, they told me that’s just how kids are, and I’ll get through it. The room felt small. I felt smaller.  

Now, with this new incident of antisemitism that has just arisen, the public education system has a chance to do things differently. It is imperative that students, teachers, and administrators don’t let this go undiscussed because they are scared to be the first ones to discuss it. As a young Jewish woman, not only do I expect seat at the table in fighting against injustice, but I implore others to start fighting with me. 

$975
$1500

• H

Halley TaylorFeb 22, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Hi Daisy,
    My name is Halley Taylor and I am the Education Director for ADL, Great Plains States- Nebraska, Iowa and Kansas. I want to first applaud you for the piece titled, “Students’ experience with antisemitism in the public school system.” Your writing was shared with me via social media and I hope that you feel the support that you have in the community.
    As you may know, the ADL works to fight all forms of hate with the same vigor and passion. An additional large portion of my position within the ADL is our programming that addresses antisemitism. What you experienced is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. I am deeply sorry that when turning to a trusted adult, your concerns were not met with a sense of alarm or seriousness.
    My job within ADL is to specifically address the ways that bias and antisemitism can present itself in an educational setting. Please know that you are not alone in our community. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any further incidents as there is support for you here within ADL. Incidents can also be filed directly with out office at the following link: https://www.omaha.adl.org.
    On a different note- our division of ADL is always willing to speak and present our anti-bias and or programs that address antisemitism within your classroom, newsroom or on a larger school basis.
    With you in Power,
    Halley Taylor
    Education Director- ADL-CRC
    [email protected]

Reply
    • D

Daisy FriedmanFeb 25, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Ms. Taylor,

Thank you so much for your comment. I will make sure to reach out if any further incident occurs.

Best,

Daisy

Reply
2