Staying busy this spring break

Sophia Sgourakis, Section Editor

Once March is near, many students desire spring break. It is the last long break during the school year before summer. As the pandemic is taking away nearly everything, it will continue to ruin this year’s spring break. Even though vacations most likely won’t happen, here are a few seasonal, COVID friendly activities to take on instead.
Plant an herb garden. This is a great idea for fellow Midwesterners, because it is up in the air whether our spring break will be in the 30s or the 60s. Herb gardens can be sized to either accommodate an indoor space with a few pots, or significant land outside. The scent of lavender can help reduce stress for the last couple months of school, and other herbs like rosemary, mint, and basil make great additions to spring dishes.
Freshen up your home. What better time to do your spring cleaning than during spring break? Other than decluttering, there are more ways to give your space an update. Purchase some fresh spring flowers, swap out decorations for lighter colors, and even rearrange your space.
Enjoy your time outside. Fingers crossed that spring break this year brings spring weather. Spend time with friends outside, go on scenic drives, have picnics, go on a walk or hike. Take advantage of the sun and warmth (hopefully) because the weather is never consistent here as we all know.
Take virtual tours. For seniors, I know colleges are finding ways to show off their campuses to potential new students. With extra time on your hands, now is the perfect time to check out that school you have been looking at. I have also just recently found out several museums around the world are streaming virtual tours. Because we can’t be in D.C., Paris, Amsterdam, or Los Angeles, check out some museums that are in these cities via a computer.
It is important to take care of yourself, so do things that make you happy this spring break. And don’t forget to catch up on your rest in order to finish this school year as strong as possible.