Extra time? Here are my go-to Netflix series

March 15, 2021

Over the past year, COVID has forced me to stay at home. I started filling this alone time like every other teenager by watching Netflix. Here are my top ten recommendations if you have time to kill.

1. Community. This show is about a lawyer who faked his degree, and when the word got out, he had to attend community college. There, he becomes part of a Spanish study group and befriends six other students with dysfunctional backgrounds and personalities. Community is one of my all-time favorites; it’s a sitcom and it never fails to make me laugh. The characters are bizarre and make the show continuously interesting to watch. If you like shows like The Office and Parks and Recreation, you will love this show.
  2. New Girl. Jess, a middle school teacher, moves to Los Angelas where she sees an ad for an apartment where three men were already living. Curiously, Jess goes to check it out and ends up meeting her future best friends. It’s a show about their lives together. New Girl is a sitcom similar to friends, but with modern humor.
  3. On My Block: A show about a group of four teenagers and their challenges living in South Central Los Angeles. Whether it’s tragedy, joy, familial issues, or gang related danger, the four of them are willing to go to extreme lengths to help one another. If you enjoy watching teenage dramas with unpredictable plots, this show is for you.
  4. Avatar the Last Airbender. ATLA may be rated for little kids, but the cartoon can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Aang is guided on a mission by Sokka and Katara to learn and master the bending of all four elements in order to defeat the fire nation. The fire nation is trying to take control of the world, and Aang must stop them to restore peace. I didn’t start rewatching ATLA until mid-August, but as I began watching the show, it reminded me of my childhood.
  5. Cobra Kai. Thirty-four years after the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament, Johnny Lawrence seeks redemption by reopening the infamous Cobra Kai dojo, reigniting his rivalry with Danny LaRusso. The many plot twists of this show are what makes it so enjoyable. I started and finished all three seasons of this show in two days and would highly recommend watching it. It was an homage to the original movies I watched as a kid.
  6. Stranger Things. When a young boy mysteriously vanishes, a small town discovers a mystery involving hidden experiments, terrifying supernatural forces, and one unusual young girl. The continuous hunt for the young boy will make you want to watch episode after episode. Ever since this show came out, I feel like it’s a Netflix go to. I began rewatching it last summer and it reminded me of life before COVID.
  7. Queer Eye. Five men with different professional backgrounds collaborate, giving lifestyle and fashion makeovers to guests. With funny hosts and amazing makeovers, Queer Eye is a must watch.
  8. Anne With An E. This show is a coming-of-age story about an orphan who is seeking acceptance. Over time, Anne will transform her friends’ and family’s lives and the small town in which they live with her spirit, intellect, and imagination. Seeing Anne grow is what makes you want to keep watching more. The many surprises along her path make Anne With An E a binge worthy series.
  9. The Umbrella Academy. A dysfunctional family of adopted sibling superheroes face challenges with their father and an apocalypse. This superhero fiction series is something I usually wouldn’t watch, but the Umbrella Academy is a great series. I watched this show with my sister and we both loved it because of the interesting plot and characters. If you enjoy shows like Stranger Things, I would recommend The Umbrella Academy.
  10. Gilmore Girls. This show follows the relationship between Lorelai and her teen daughter Rory who act more like best friends than mother and daughter. It’s a heartfelt show, where we see both mother and daughter grow up. I’ve watched this show with my mom since I was little, and after rewatching it multiple times, it has become one of our favorites. If you love sappy family shows, I recommend watching Gilmore Girls.
$975
$1500

$975
$1500