Gym floors cause volleyball chaos

September 20, 2021

As many students know at Central High School, the gym floors on the North side are torn up, trying to be fixed. The problem was caused by water damage but is now affecting the Central High volleyball team.

Problems Caused

The problem first arose at the very end of summer and has happened before. This is the second time for this to happen on the North side. It has not happened in the South side for that is all new. The district is fixing it during this time but that does not mean consequences are not in play.

Angela Thorn, head coach of the varsity volleyball team, says the floors are a source of multiple complications for the team starting with practice. The floors cause what Thorn calls a “split practice.” This “split practice” refers to the fact the freshman and reserve team practice at Central while the junior varsity and varsity team are forced to practice at Blackburn High School.

The varsity team is currently ranked #12 in Nebraska Class A. Everyone is trying to improve throughout the season but is having a hard time doing so practicing at different locations.

When the team is not practicing, they are playing games which are also being affected. The first three home games have become away games because Central cannot host anyone let alone play a sport in a gym with floors under construction.

Despite this, the home games scheduled for October are still in place, but this could change. Thorn has her fingers crossed “hoping we can get into the gym in October.” The rest of the team is hoping for this as well.

The Season to Come

Spending one’s last year of high school playing the sport they love is a good way to use time, but it gets slowly ruined when one is forced to practice at a different school and only play away games.

Coming off COVID their junior year, seniors really wanted to savor and enjoy their last year of volleyball. Though many are having a difficult time completing that resolution because of the gym floors. There is a chance they will have home games but that is not until October so only time will tell to know if they get to see their fans one last time.

The seniors, along with the rest of the team must keep their heads up for volleyball season has just started, meaning the team has two more months of torn floors.

Positive Outlook

With the season cancelled last year and the torn floors this year, the volleyball team must remain positive. Thorn says, “everyone is really taking it in stride,” and “going with the flow.”

Thorn appreciates this and knows the girls are strong, but the coach must be just as strong. “You have to keep a positive attitude as a coach because if I’m not positive the girls aren’t positive.”

Thorn is doing a remarkable job and not taking anything for granted. She says at least “we get to play this year.” And for that everyone is thankful.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500