OPS school board approves new plan in federal COVID relief funds

Omaha Public Schools has approved a new plan releasing $280 million in federal COVID-19 relief money. The money is directly targeted toward students. It is meant to help them recover academically and emotionally, things that were both dramatically effected during the pandemic.  

Approved the week of Sept. 5, many are in support of this plan including Central High Schools assistant principal, Danielle Brandt. “I am in support of OPS’ plans and the funds we will receive,” she said. 

The OPS school district is receiving more COVID relief funds than any other district in the state. The district has approved the plan so it is on its way to the Nebraska Board of Education awaiting approval. 

Since March 2020, there has been three COVID relief plans passed by Congress. Nebraska public schools district has received $767 million in funding. Out of that money $303.7 million goes to OPS. 

The first bill passed was $23.2 million to distribute 54,000 iPads and internet for those iPads. Another $86.4 million was received from the second COVID relief bill. Lastly, $194.2 million was given to OPS in the third bill passed. This plan was put in place for schools to invest in summer programs and learning loss.  

To separate this plan from previous ones, OPS sent out thousands of surveys and held around 75 public engagement sessions over the summer. These surveys and sessions found how parents, students, staff and officials thought the money should be distributed. The sessions were required to receive some of the federal money. 

As far as needing a fifth plan goes, Brandt says “students, staff and community needs will need to continue to be assessed and reassessed to determine what is needed.”  

If this plan proves effective it will because of the steps taken to create it. “The district solicited input from numerous stakeholders, including families, staff and students,” Brandt said. She is confident that input was used to develop the plan.  

The plan has four priorities the money will be spent on. These are academic recovery and acceleration supports, well-being of students and staff, infrastructure for the future and family and community engagement. 

“This plan’s primary focus, as it should be, is on meeting the needs of the students of OPS,” Brandt said.  

Academic recovery is the first pillar of the plan will focus on. “These funds will focus on academic supports for students, including technology and digital resources, tutoring, credit and recovery,” Brandt explains. The plan is spending a total $149.9 million on this pillar. 

Fateama Fulmore, principal supervisor for OPS says the plan specifically prioritizes three subjects; learning loss and recovery, instructional materials and digital resources and professional learning.  

The plan allows OPS to spend $24 million on tutoring. $52.7 million is in place for learning loss initiatives and $24 million for the curriculum. Academic recovery also includes $63 million for technology, including iPads, cases and warranties for students and teachers. 

Specifically referring to high school students in the academic recovery category, Brandt says “Next Level Learning allows high school students to earn credits toward graduation.” 

“We have put initiatives in place, including the freshman academy, teach professional learning communities and advisement, among others, to help all of our students feel known, loved and inspired to succeed.” 

The second pillar is student and staff well-being. $8.5 million is going into creating healthy classrooms that allows for the learning of engaged students. The pandemic has caused mental trauma to the entire world. Education of students around the globe has suffered and for it to succeed again, students need to be in a good place with their mental health. 

Brandt speaks of this subject: “The world-wide health crisis impacted everyone across the globe, and CHS is no exception.” She knows each student is unique and has unique needs. “As a building, we are consistently working to find the best ways to meet those needs. The events of the past 18 months have focused our efforts.” 

Infrastructure is the third pillar with $116.6 million being spent on it. The disease of COVID-19 is still being spread around so it is crucial OPS has a plan to protect students and staff against the virus to continue the school year. 

This project will allow OPS to remain safe and clean. It will also allow them to make repairs and improvements as needed to support in-person schooling and reduce the risk of transmission of the virus.  

The fourth and final pillar is family and community engagement with $4.4 million to support it. This is meant to keep students connected to schools by extending academic support into student homes. Home visits will be included to build stronger relationships between families struggling and the schools support system.  

“As a building, our work continues to focus on meeting students’ needs in a way that allows them to be prepared to learn at optimal levels,” Brandt said. 

To manage this project the remaining $1.4 million will support administration.  

Central is still going to evolve and change with this new plan.”As a building and district, we are constantly evaluating what is best for the students of OPS,” Brandt explained. 

Even though she has not seen every detail of the new plan she is confident that the decisions that are made will benefit CHS staff and students. 

$975
$1500

$975
$1500