Joslyn museum set to close for two years during renovations

Joslyn’s planned vision for the Rhonda and Howard Hawks Pavilion.

The Joslyn museum broke ground in July on their new $100 million construction project. The undertaking will create a modern addition to the museum, called the Rhonda and Howard Hawks Pavilion.

The pavilion, designed by the Norwegian architectural firm Snøhetta, will be starkly contemporary in comparison to the current art deco style of the Joslyn. This project will be adding onto the original 1931 building and the 1994 addition.

“This will be a transformative project for Joslyn, and the city of Omaha as well,” said Amy Rummel, the director of public relations at Joslyn.

As of now, the museum remains open to the public with some changes, like a new entrance. But eventually the entire museum will be closed for two years for the safety of visitors, staff and the artwork on the walls. The Joslyn is currently set to close in May of 2022 and reopen when the project is completed in early 2024.

The addition is being built to meet the growing demands of the art collection. It will allow more art to actually be shown to visitors, rather than sit in storage. “This will give us the chance to display more works, like Native American objects and works on paper, such as prints and photographs,” said Rummel. “People will be getting a new view of works from across three thousand years of art.”

The new wing will be 42 thousand square feet, creating gallery space that will showcase modern art. Over 50 pieces from the Phillip G. Schrager Collection of Contemporary Art were recently gifted to the museum, and these works will all be housed in the pavilion.

In addition to the Rhonda and Howard Hawks Pavilion, a renovation of the existing building will take place to create new classrooms and community spaces. The goal here is to give the main building an update and increase the ability to provide public programming.

According to Rummel, public reaction has been very positive, with lots of community feedback. “When you’re so imbedded in the lives of the people that you serve, people have very strong responses,” said Rummel, adding that the expansion has also received some negative responses and questions that are bound to come with a project of this size.

Because of Central’s proximity to the site, students will definitely notice some changes like construction and noise. But Rummel wants Central students to know that the Joslyn Museum appreciates everyone’s patience with all of the readjustments, and she encourages students to “enjoy the opportunity to watch the monumental development from Central’s bird’s eye view.”

$975
$1500

$975
$1500