Six winter 2021 trends to start wearing now

October 20, 2021

Inspiration  

Fashion designers are using their winter collection to express their creativity. This is an ordinary activity, but the things produced this year are nowhere near ordinary. Bazaar says it will be “nothing less than optimistic.” Splashes of color, eye-catching prints, and vintage comebacks inspire the winter wardrobe of 2021. 

The Trend Spotter says fashion is back in a big way. COVID has inspired designers to think big. Not only were designers forced to have virtual runways, but their sales also dropped because people were not leaving their houses. Now that people are going out again, designers want to give them something of extra importance to showcase their talents. 

Everyone is waiting to step out into the cold and release their inner sense of style. “Here is a feeling we all have about wanting to be in the world again. We are in the mood for fashion. We are in the mood for sharing with other people,” says Raf Simons in a conversation with Miuccia Prada.  

Mrs. Prada cautioned against letting everyone break out of their shell. “Something is mounting. Some desire, some excitement. I personally would like to control it because it’s probably not correct, but it’s there.” While caution is authorized everyone is breaking the rules. From print to color, nothing is off limits. This season there is no control. 

Female power was another big theme. Lucie Meier, at Jil Sander, said: “It’s a time of change for everybody. To be able to achieve change you need to feel empowered to do so.” Nadège Vanhee- Cybluski, at Hermès, has an important message to the world: “It’s urgent now to live again. The message to the world is that I have this conviction of designing clothes for a confident woman. Each of them has a way of expressing female power.” 

This winter is about “an accumulation of nostalgia, expression of vibrancy, body positivity, and a touch of glitter, this season is embracing the maximalist aesthetic,” says Trend Spotter. This winter is all about embracing the fun side of fashion and just living through the experience. 

Geometry Class 

Be bold using colors and shapes that create standout geometric patterns. With black coats as a staple, adding a bold piece will instantly add joy to the outfit. Bazaar is promising bonus points for matching prints.  

Trend Spotter says “essentially, more is more,” and this season there is no way to do it wrong. 

Dark Double Denim 

Pierpaolo Piccioli, at Valentino, said: “It’s the radical act of having strength to be who you are; that’s what I mean by romanticism today. It’s a subjective, almost anarchic gesture, assertive of one’s own identity – exactly like punk.”  

According to Vogue “their ideas manifested variously in trends for boy-meets-girl styling (a short skirt with a boyish blazer), crisp, dark-wash denim, and sheer romanticism.” 

This dark wash denim is translated to double whether that’s a jacket and jeans or a series. The Trend Spotter says this 70s inspired outfit is an “effortless chic style of monochrome denim with a subtle laid-back feel.” 

Color Pop 

Autumn appears to be the season of madness. So why not bring the madness to color?  

The traditional rules of fashion are being challenged by designers using a combination of saturated hues. This consists of pink and neon orange, bright purple and yellow, green and cobalt blue — designers are finding endless opportunities.  

Specifically, Versace started this trend after their premiered color pop FW21 collection. The bright hues of the early 2000s are back since this world has been aching for a burst of color.  

Shades of green are seen as an early trend but will only continue to expand. Highlighted by Pantone for London Fashion Week, its playful, outdoor nature brings a breath of fresh air to the world. 

Ski Season 

Bazaar says ski gear will be sported before, during, and after hitting the slopes. “This is an exaggerated take athleisure in that brings the exhilarating sport to your day-to-day.”  

Oversized puffer coats, matching snow pants, and patterned knits are essential to this style. The Trend Spotter agrees with Bazaar using knitted loungewear, padded ski suits, and lot of layers in their description. 

This style choice for this season comes from Chanel, Balenciaga, and Eduon Choi. “Embracing the chill on the runway, keeping it effortlessly cool.” 

Furry Friend 

Vogue says it is time to throw caution to the wind. Cropped or a style that goes to the floor, it does not matter. 

Trend Spotter says oversized coats are the way to go when paired with a tube dress, catsuit, or a midi skirt with stockings. Vegan alternatives are going to be in session this season. Teddy bear, leopard print, or shag – the runway and the people are here for it all. 

Knitwear 

Lastly the pieces that are also on display, knitwear. Knitwear is having its special moment this year, becoming a staple on the runway. Semi-formal to casual knitwear does it all.  

Neutral tones of knitwear will be featured throughout the town. This is great for layering similar shades or minimalist hues. 

No matter the style knitwear will always have a place in the closet. 

$975
$1500

$975
$1500