Fostering is as beneficial as adopting

It seems counterintuitive to promote fostering pets rather than adopting. I mean, adoption is the end goal for animals, right? Obviously, yes. But it doesn’t have to be your role in the process.  

There are a variety of reasons people can’t make the long-term commitment involved in adopting an animal. For me and my family, we all either have school or work; our schedule is just way too busy. You can’t always predict stability of the future, but you can make a significant difference by providing a loving temporary home.

My family and I began fostering cats last year when school was virtual so we could be home more. Rescue organizations in Omaha and all across the country are desperate for homes to take in animals temporarily to relieve stress off of packed shelters.

Speaking from experience, deciding to foster can save the animal’s life. Most of the cats we’ve gotten have been sick or were runts. The first couple weeks are often just nursing them back to health. It’s not always easy but it feels really rewarding.

Fostering worked so well for us because of the flexibility. When you commit to fostering your generally committing only a few weeks or a few months. You really just get to step in for a period of cuddles, and play time and then pass them off to their new family.

It’s also a great way to do a test run if you are considering adopting a cat, but haven’t lived with one before. The short period of time you’re looking after them can give you great insight on what financial, time, and emotional commitments you’d have to sign up for.

Another good bonus is most of the time you get first pick at adoption! If you end up loving the cat(s) you’re fostering you can always decide to make them a permanent resident of your home.

When my family and I started adopting cats, we used the first group of kittens we were watching as a test run to see if we could do it again. After that first group, we were able to help so many more kittens. It kind of put things into perspective for us because instead of just saving one cat, we saved over ten that year.

As a foster parent, we really got to know each of our cats. By the time they were ready to be adopted, we knew exactly what kind of home they needed to be in. At least with the organization we went through, we had full control over the process. It feels really good knowing the people who are adopting, and ensuring that they’ll be going to a loving home firsthand.

Shelters all over the country are overflowing with cats and many are being turned away because there’s not enough room. Opening up your home to be a foster parent will give many second chances to animals in need, while also opening up more room for the organization to rescue more cats. If you’re not ready to make the full commitment, I would highly consider fostering over adopting because it’s more beneficial to everyone involved.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500