Young Thug produces again

November 4, 2021

Hit artist and songwriter Young Thug just dropped his second studio album on his new label, and with the new album came plenty to talk about. 

Previous to Punk, Young Thug dropped Slime Language 2 this April. That record featured twenty-three songs, with an additional eight on the deluxe. He slimmed down his most recent album to 20 tracks, maintaining the long play time of his previous album. 

The album is just over an hour in total, and within that hour there are plenty of gems, from the great features to amazing production. 

If there is anything you can count on in a Young Thug album, it’s a few good features. On Punk we were gifted with many features spanning different genres, musical backgrounds, and styles. 

Young Thug brought in some pop stars such as Post Malone and Doja Cat, to contrast his usual heavy trap style. Of the two features, I found the Post Malone feature to be phenomenal. The production on the track fit Malone seamlessly, while still falling within that Young Thug sound he has perfected.  

Young Thug also supplied his core audience of trap fans with new songs to add the playlist. Most notable of which was Peepin Out the Window with Future and BSlime. With this one we got a nice piano beat with heavy mixing to compliment BSlime’s quick flow and Future’s unique voice and inflections. 

The track on the album that really stole the attention of listeners was Day Before featuring the late Mac Miller. This song came last on the track list, and utilized a peaceful slowed down undertone to send off the album. 

Mac Miller had passed away in September of 2018, and the day before his tragic overdose he recorded this song with Young Thug, hence the name Day Before. The story behind the track, coupled with its placement on the track list, adds to the meaning and value of the song. It comes off as an honorable tribute to the extremely popular artist. 

The diversity of artists on this album only goes to show the talent Young Thug possesses to make this album feel cohesive. The all star band of artists on this album leaves a song for every hip hop or pop fan to enjoy. 

The production is another stand out of the album. With legendary producers like Kanye West and Pi’erre Bourne working on the project, it was hard to ever imagine we would get a flop from Young Thug. 

All in all, I found this album to be extremely enjoyable, with each song having a unique sound to keep the album flowing from the first track to the last. Within the album is a song for everybody, and it is definitely worth a listen. 

$975
$1500