I promise you are not crazy

Just talking your feelings out is one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself, and truly has made me a much happier, and mentally well person.

December 2, 2021

It makes me really happy more people are coming forward about their struggles with mental illness. As someone who has personally struggled with being mentally well, it is very rewarding to see people in positions of power or who I admire openly discuss struggles similar to my own.

It really bothers me that many people view trauma and mental illness as debilitating. While mental illnesses certainly can be debilitating at times, that does not mean that everyone who struggle with their mental health is unable to live productive, relatively normal lives. Visibility of mental illness is influential in making this belief more widespread. Hearing a world renowned athlete, celebrity or close friend open up about their mental well-being helps the mentally ill feel validated and not alone, as well as making it clear mental illness does not define a person. Identity exists outside of a diagnosis.

It is important to note that those who open up about their mental well-being are not the only people who have experienced mental illness or trauma in their lives. Many hesitate to discuss their mental health, because they simply can’t face the realities of what they have experienced or goes through their mind on a daily basis. Which is okay! Trauma takes time to unpack and heal from, and no one should feel pressured to discuss their own until they are ready. Your trauma is still valid, even if no one knows about it.

Which is why instead of making the assumption that everyone is mentally well until proven otherwise, the assumption that everyone is mentally unwell until proven otherwise should exist. While this may seem extreme, it really isn’t. Being overly cautious when it comes to mental illness is a risk we can all take, given that carelessness with certain mental illnesses can be fatal. Coming forward with internal struggles is incredibly difficult if a safe and respectful platform is not given to everyone. Check in with loved ones often, making it clear you are in a receptive mindset for whatever they are feeling.

For those who feel they need further help, as I too felt, I suggest talking with a therapist, school psychologist or calling a national hotline. Many of you have probably heard these options repeated many times before but I can’t stress enough how helpful they have been for me. Just talking your feelings out is one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself, and truly has made me a much happier, and mentally well person. Whatever you are going through, I promise you are not crazy, and someone out there is going through exactly what you are.

Safe Schools Hotline: 531-299-7233

$975
$1500

$975
$1500