Journalism students go to Philadelphia

Seventeen journalism students travelled to Philadelphia Nov. 10-14 to participate in the National High School Press Scholastic Storytelling Workshop. Due to the global pandemic, the conference has been taking place online for the past two years. This year’s workshop was the first in-person meeting since
November of 2019.

In the workshop, students worked directly with creativity experts in storytelling. The Register staff won three individual awards, and the newspaper placed sixth in Best Show out of 54 other competing
schools.
“Students chose one path out of ten to focus on for two intense days of workshopping,” adviser Hillary Blayney said.
Students participated in the web-site design, streets of Philadelphia reporting, reporting and writing, photography, print design, and yearbook design pathways. The workshop lasted two days plus an
evening presentation given by the keynote speaker, Becky Bowers, who introduced students to the upcoming days of the workshop.

In the workshop, students learned many valuable skills that will help them in their future work for The Register and yearbook.
“I learned how to write from a different perspective, and how to write a short article in only 300 words,” said junior Shyla Youngs, winner of the Most Captivating Story Interview.

Sophomore Charlie Yale is the web editor for The Register and learned how to expand the newspaper’s website and social media outreach. “I learned how to utilize the website better,” shares Yale who received the Best Ideas for Web Engagement award. While in Philly, students also toured local attractions and did a lot of sightseeing. Students saw the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, LOVE sign, Rocky Steps and Reading Markey. They also visited a local art
museum and even attended a Sixers vs. Raptors NBA game.
“I had a really good time. There was a lot of team bonding and we got to see a side of each other that we don’t really see in school,” explains sophomore Isabel Walocha who was awarded Most connected to
human truth.
“I really enjoyed the community aspect and being with the rest of the newspaper staff,” Yale added.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500