The outcome of ending war

The United States and Afghanistan have ceased the violence and reached a temporary peace agreement.  

On August 30, 2021, the last United States Military plane left Afghanistan, putting two decades of war to rest. The war between Afghanistan and the United States began in 2001 shortly after the 9/11 terrorist attack. The fundamentalist group in Afghanistan known as the Taliban gave sanctuary to Al-Queda, who was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. After 7 years of partial progress, in 2008 President Barack Obama increased the military presence in Afghanistan. The inability to hold off the Taliban caused the mission to end in December 2013, but the war stayed on going.  

In 2017 the United States dropped the “Mother of all Bombs” on the Islamic State. Thousands of more troops were deployed to Afghanistan and the war reached a steady stalemate. Peace talks and negotiations were reached in 2019, but the last American troop did not leave Afghanistan until August 30, 2021.  

The longest war ending still leaves many possible outcomes for the future. President Biden defended the withdrawal and said the troops could not have stayed any longer.  

“Conducting our drawdown differently would have certainly come with an increased risk of safety to our personnel,” said President Biden.   

There is one common question raised by these actions. Did President Biden make the right decision to pull troops out of Afghanistan? 

As the President of the United States, it is Biden’s job to protect Americans before anyone else. Leaving Afghanistan was the safest action to take in order to protect American citizens and military personnel. The tension between the Taliban and the United States has always been thick. The presence of military only increases this tension and creates more violence surrounding the Afghan citizens who do not support the Taliban. When an offer of peace  made, the option that puts the objects of priority first is the right call. To President Biden, protecting Americans is the biggest priority. By signing this agreement Biden is not only getting Americans out of Afghanistan, but he is also trying to ensure that the Taliban is not providing sanctuary for terrorist groups that pose a threat to the United States.  

This war ending also decreases the violence that is caused between the Taliban and the United States. Anyone under twenty years of age has never seen this country free of violence and war between the United States and Afghanistan. This leaves the opportunity for the country to return to a time before violence. Though this is a potential outcome, there is also the possibility that violence will ensue.  

The United States has always left an impression of war on Afghan citizens. However, it is possible that for some, this ensured safety. The Taliban is a self-proclaimed “Religious Group”. They claim their actions of beating and raping women in the streets and forcing them to be covered by a Burqa in 100-degree heat is justified by religion. The Taliban has caused suffering for Aghan people, mostly women, for over the last two decades. Since 2001 there has been someone attempting to fight the Taliban and leaving a glimmer of hope for the citizens of Afghanistan. Now that the Unites States is out of Afghanistan, that hope is lost. No one can know if the Taliban will take control of Afghanistan and have harsher conditions than before.  

There is no right answer in the mess of this war. No matter what decisions are made, or precautions are taken, there is no way to tell the outcome of the United States withdrawal. The United States made the best decision for themselves. Though it was messy and left causalities, it put the president’s priories first. Only time will tell what the future holds for Afghan citizens and what will become of the relationship between Afghanistan and the United States.  

$975
$1500

$975
$1500