Manhattan Deli provides quick service, convenient dining experience

January 24, 2022

Manhattan Deli deserves the one-word description of “convenient” for a multitude of reasons.  Located inside the Service Life Building on 19th and Farnam, its proximity to Central as well as the general downtown area makes it a prime choice for a quick meal.   

The delicatessen does not only serve lunch, however. The breakfast menu can be ordered from until 10 a.m. While I did not get the chance to try their breakfast, I could not help but notice the extremely cheap prices, with 3 pancakes being just $2.59 and an omelet sandwich ringing up at $4.  

The prices of lunch were fairly cheap as well, with most of the menu items being between $6 and $8. The menu itself was extremely customizable, with a variety of ways to build your own sandwich or upgrade a meal to a combo. I ordered a BLT and parmesan tomato soup to fill the half-sandwich and cup of soup combination. Adding in my medium fountain drink, my total was around $10. Aside from sandwiches and soups, the menu featured multiple salads to order as a main course.  

The parmesan tomato soup was deliciously creamy and the perfect temperature. My only critique was that all the parmesan had stuck to the bottom of the cup, so my last few bites were dominated by cheese. Parmesan overload aside, the rest of the flavors were spot on.  

I have no complaints about the BLT. The bread was toasted just right, with a slight golden-brown coloration on the top. The tomatoes and lettuce tasted fresh, and the bacon was cooked well (not too crispy but not overly chewy either).  

The counter-service aspect of Manhattan Deli made for a quick and convenient order experience, and my food was ready for me to retrieve in around five minutes. The main menu is colorfully hand-drawn on a chalkboard, which adds a unique quality to the ordering experience. 

What stood out to me as particularly convenient during these times of COVID was the arrangement of tables throughout the deli. The restaurant is divided into multiple sections by walkways, each section having a few tables, which makes for a private dining experience. I was able to sit in a section by myself, safely distanced from other parties. The extensive wall of windows let in some appreciated natural light, which made the experience even more enjoyable.  

The deli is currently open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays. While these hours do limit the chance for most high school students to eat here, I recommend it to all others who can find a time to stop in for lunch or breakfast. For those looking for convenience and quality food in the downtown area, Manhattan Deli is the place to go.  

$975
$1500

$975
$1500