Waffles: the food for comfort

Now I won’t lie and say that waffles are the best breakfast food ever because that would be arrogant, but I will say that they are better than French toast. Waffles are homey, comfortable and there is something about the vibe that making and eating waffles give off that French toast cannot compete with. Waffles are easy to make and satisfy the need for good comfort food.  

An important point to make is that the average time it takes to make waffles is 10 minutes shorter than French toast. According to the Food Network the total time it takes to make French toast is 30 minutes and the total time for waffles is 20 minutes. Now this is important because the average person does not have a lot of extra time in their morning routine so being able to save 10 extra minutes while still having a tasty breakfast is important. The cleanup time for both the breakfast foods is about the same because they require around the same number of supplies.  

Now both waffles and French toast are great, but I must address taste and texture. I won’t lie, I can’t critique the taste of a well make French toast because it is good, but the texture is where it can fall short. Unlike the waffles light and fluffy texture, French toast tends to turn soggy and heavy due to having to soak in the egg and milk mixture. Waffles tend to be more reliable with both crispy and soft texture and a hint of sweetness in the taste.  

The actual shape of breakfast food plays a large role in the overall enjoyment of eating them. Waffles are made to be able to hold all the toppings someone wishes to add. With the grooves made by the iron, the toppings can be evenly distributed and held in place. While with French toast, the butter and syrup tend to pool on the surface then go all over the place once they are cut or bit into.  

A person can also have more variety with the shape of their waffles by buying fun waffles irons, something you can sadly not do with French toast.  

Speaking of waffles irons, they themselves are not single use. There are multiple other recipes that people can make that use waffles irons such as grilled cheese, calzones, cinnamon rolls, hash browns and more.  

Not only does the shape of waffles have more variety but so does the waffle itself. Although it is possible to make both French toast and waffles sweet or savory, it is far easier with waffles. For French Toast, you have to change the recipe itself by adding different spices to the mixture it soaks in, but for waffles, the original recipe can be used or changes can be made.  

For a sweet waffle, the toppings can be: powdered sugar, fruit, syrups, honey, Nutella, whip cream and more. Or the recipe can be changed by adding vanilla or cinnamon to the batter.  

Sweet French toast and waffles are the more common way to go when eating those foods but that does not change the fact that there are some great savory waffle choices.  

For a savory waffle, the toppings can be: fried chicken, eggs, meats, tomatoes with balsamic glaze, avocado and more. Because the flavor of the waffle on its own is not overly sweet these toppings nicely balance the sweetness. Adding herbs such as basil, rosemary and thyme to the batter is another way to make the waffles savory. Adding these herbs complements the already great flavor foundation that waffles provide.  

Waffles may not be the absolute best breakfast food, but they are comforting and delicious. They are better than French toast, maybe just one ranking above, but still above. French toast cannot complete with the homey feeling waffles provide and the delicate sweetness they carry.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500

• D

Daniel GrahamFeb 15, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Once again the rich are ignoring the masses. What a shame. I will not stand for this capitalist propaganda.

Reply
1