Showtime’s new television show utilizes a mix of delight and horror

February 16, 2022

Periods, boy troubles, best friend quarrels and possible cannibalism: the trials and tribulations of the average 90s teenager in a girls’ soccer team. Showtime came out with the first episode of new television show Yellowjackets on November 14, 2021. The finale was released on January 16, 2022.  

This psychological thriller depicts the lives of a New Jersey girls’ soccer team who is stranded in the Canadian Rockies for 19 months. The show is also set in present day where viewers watch as several members of the team must reunite after they start to get blackmailed.  

The first seasons only has the events of when they first arrive to the start of winter, which is about five months. Much is left unknown, but this season sets up the characters and themes of the story.  

Throughout it, viewers are being led down the path that these women were forced to cannibalize their teammates in order to survive, and though they never admit to it, they are being blackmailed with strange symbols and texts for money.  

There are many different unique elements at play within Yellowjackets. There is evil with both human and supernatural roots, which makes the story even more interesting.  

Yellowjackets intertwines past and present, as well as the backstories of the characters. The cast is a mix of both well-known actresses and newcomers to the industry. It stars Juliette Lewis, Melanie Lynskey and Christina Ricci as the present-day players. The acting is superb—every episode will leave you wanting more.  

The show is comparable to another Lord of the Flies-esque thriller, The Wilds. However, Yellowjackets is a much more raw and realistic spin on the tale of survival. Audiences watch as these girls must show their true colors in a time of need.  

While the entire season was great, I felt that the final episode was a bit lackluster. Some of the loose ends were tied up, but a lot was either not explained or brushed over quickly and in a confusing manner. Yellowjackets has signed for a second season where, presumably, we will get more answers about what is really happening.  

In addition to the theme of survival, the show delves into different kind of relationships: both romantic and not. Yellowjackets shows how friendships can evolve and how families can adapt for one another, even in the direst of circumstances. This is what makes it stand out in comparison to other television shows like it.  

If you are looking for a mystery and survival show, then Yellowjackets should be next on your watchlist. With the atrocities of high school mixed with survival instincts, the actors on this show will make you wonder what is truly scarier: spooky cannibal spirits or teenage girls.  

$975
$1500