Popular New Year’s resolutions at Central

February 23, 2022

For many, the New Year represents a clean slate, new beginning or fresh start. The new year creates an opportunity to look back and correct the mistakes made in previous years by setting goals or
resolutions to fix them in the new year. According to the Washington Post, a New Year’s resolution is a “decision to do or not do something to accomplish a personal goal or break a habit.” New Year’s
resolutions are ways to express what we wish for through goals that will make us better. Setting goals shows the optimism and desire for wanting positive change in one’s life.

New Year’s traditions and resolutions are extremely prevalent in America’s pop-culture and modern society. However, New Year’s celebrations and traditions began long ago. These resolutions
came from the Babylonians over 4,000 years ago. The Babylonians celebrated the beginning of a new year with an eleven day festival. During the festival, they would make promises to the gods, hoping for
good luck in the upcoming year. Eventually these promises turned into what is known today as New Year’s resolutions.

Most New Year’s resolutions are personal goals that will make positive, beneficial changes like saving money, exercising more, spending more time with loved ones or taking up a new hobby. When
asking students at Central what their New Year’s resolutions are, the most common answers include staying on top of school work and getting better at a sport.
“My goal is to drink more water and stay in shape for sports,” said freshman Kyra Fry. Other students have goals to be happier, to keep a journal and to be organized.
“My resolutions are to smile more and have a consistent morning and nighttime routine,” said sophomore Ella Easton. Other students have very different views on New Year’s resolutions. Some claim
that New Year’s resolutions are just excuses to procrastinate changing.
“You can change yourself for the better anytime of the year. Why not start when you have the idea to change?” said sophomore Aubrey Victor.

When interviewing Central staff members about their goals for this year, the hope for staying healthy during the third year of the COVID-19 pandemic was a popular response.

Central staff members focused on staying healthy and well when entering the third year of the pandemic.
“I want to focus on health and wellness more this year,” said English teacher, Mr. Kable. Other teachers have goals to keep students engaged and excited during school.
“This year, my goal is to keep track of students’ birthdays,” says Girls Cross Country coach and English teacher, Ms. Omar. She hopes that her New Year’s resolution will make her students feel more
involved and appreciated at school.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500