Club creates safe place for young women in STEM

Club sponsor and computer science teacher, Megan Nyatawa (middle), poses with her students. Alyssa Carlson, Bosen Yusef, Macy White and Hadley Forsen-Yepes

Girls Who Code is not necessarily new, the club was founded in 2012 and serves as a nonprofit organization which aims to port and increase the number of women in computer science.

At Central however, the club was funded just last November. All female and non-binary identifying students are welcome to join. Meetings are held every Monday in room 437 until 4p.m.

Advisor Megan Nyatawa, a computer science teacher, started the club after one of her students came up with the idea of bringing the club to the nest.

“The main goals of Girls Who Code is to one, get more girls interested in coding and programming so they’ll take classes, and then it might lead to pursuing a degree and career in the STEM field,” Nyatawa said.

Recognizing that computer science is oftentimes a male dominated field, the club wants to make it a safe space for students who would be overlooked in a normal class setting. “We want to create a space for girls who are interested in programming and coding to just be around other girls who have the same interest as them. A lot of our computer science classes are dominated by boys so they don’t necessarily have that space in class,” Nyatawa said.

Nyatawa also makes sure her meeting are an open space for people to share their thought, and talk to others. She states one big part of Girls Who Code, that is integrated worldwide as a company is sisterhood.

“We really build of the idea of getting to know other girls in your group and developing bonds with them. It really goes beyond code and focuses too on the relationships built.”

Nyatawa already sees the effects this club is bringing amongst students. There’s a general excitement for meetings and interest in the topics as a whole. Members Zahar Bari and Audrey Theophilus express these same feelings.

Theophilus became aware from her program in teacher and decided to invite Bari along with her. Ever since they have been attending meeting, and have done projects such as coding a Doja Cat music video.

“At meetings we learn about other women in STEM, which is nice to see someone like you, in a typically male dominated field. It’s what I want to pursue as a career and helps me to see that coming true,” Theophilus said.

Both members expressed how grateful they are to the club, especially Nyatawa for being so enthusiastic and involved as their advisor. In Bari’s words “she’s so slay.” On a more serious note they also stated how they look up to her.

“She’s a very positive role model, and an assertive woman. Its empowering to see people like her lead in places like Girls Who Code,” Theophilus said.

The members also expressed their love for the club, specifically the message of sisterhood.

“Its nice to be a part of a community that have the same experiences as me, and share the same interests,” Bari said. “Since in most coding classes their male dominant and women get overlooked in them. This is a sad space for them to thrive without worrying about not being heard.”

$975
$1500

$975
$1500