Gunna strikes again with the release of DS4Ever

The album dropped the same day as The Weeknd’s album, Dawn FM. In a shock to nearly everyone, it was Gunna and DS4Ever that stood atop the charts, namely the Billboard 100 one week after release. This feat only goes to speak on the quality of the album.

March 11, 2022

It has become an annual occurrence that hit Atlanta rapper, Gunna, drops a record breaking album, filled with high level features. This year’s installment is titled Drip Season 4Ever (DS4Ever).

In September of last year Gunna dropped Too Easy, as a standalone single. This track featured Future and was remixed with Roddy Ricch; both songs were absolute hits.

Gunna gave a little taste of what was in store for DS4Ever in that single, and what was in store was more of his fast-paced beats and clever one-liners. The promotion of the album was a complete hit, and the week prior to the drop truly encapsulated the hype surrounding the album.

The album itself was near flawless, with only a handful of songs being “skips.”

What always separates Gunna from most other trap albums is his phenomenal utilization of specificity in where he deploys his features. In other words, he is extremely wise in knowing what beat fits who. The song that best showcased this talent was How You Did That featuring Kodak Black. Kodak’s deep, monotone, more serious sounding voice paired perfectly with the slowed down beat selected for his verse.

This only goes to show the ingenuity of Gunna within the trap scene.

Another great feature on this album was Drake on P Power.

On this track we got the typical Drake beat, accompanied by typical Drake lyrics. But with that said, Drake puts together a decent song.

The song that stole the show and simultaneously started a viral trend was Pushin P featuring Young Thug and Future.

The song was filled with clever lines from both Young Thug and Future, and they played perfectly with the lightning quick beat chosen for this track. Whenever Gunna and Young Thug get on a beat together you know you are in store for something good, and this song was no exception.

The music video that accompanied this song, along with the master marketing by Future, Gunna and Young Thug turned this track into a radio worthy song to a viral trend centered around the letter P. This trend only peaked when Gunna went on to Twitter and a number of interviews to describe what ‘P’ meant. He tweeted,“Risking your life to feed your family (is P),”

Among other statements, he also described ‘P’ as, “Getting a brand new pair of shoes, that’s ‘P’.” The letter ‘P’ has taken on a whole new meaning in the wake of DS4Ever’s drop, and in part because of that, I rate the album as being ‘P’ and definitely worth a listen from any hip hop fan.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500