Kroupa’s Eagles are finishing strong

They enter their final two games 20-3, the same record the Eagles had through twenty-three games last year. Kroupa’s recipe for putting together great seasons starts an ends with the players.

March 11, 2022

Coach Kroupa and his Lady Eagles are entering a tough final week of their regular season, and they have kept their winning pace that their season kicked off with.

“We have really good players, not only on the court but great student athletes,” Kroupa said.  “The biggest thing is experience though.”

A three game and potential five game win streak is proving critical to district seeding down the stretch for the Central squad.

This streak late in the season has been boosted by the fantastic play of Kroupa’s seniors. “We have seven seniors that all provide a lot of things, each of them have a little different personality as
well,” Kroupa said.

The wing combination of Aaniya Webb and Aniah Wayne have proved to be a deadly scoring tandem this entire season. The two have combined for thirty-two of the team’s sixty-five points per game.

The other two seniors that start for the Eagles squad are Claire Williams and Ital Lopuyo. They together do the dirty work for the team, and do all the work around the edges.

Williams has been the calming presence for the Eagles team not just this year, but last year as well. Her experience and high basketball IQ has helped this team immensely on the offensive end but especially at the defensive end.

Lopuyo on the other hand has been the model of consistency for this team. Every night Lopuyo comes out and gets a double-double with a handful of blocks. As the tallest girl in the state she causes direct mismatches for any team Central plays. On top of that she anchors the defense, and acts as a force on both ends.

On the other side of the coin is the talented youth of this team. Heading that youth has been the offensive dynamite, that is Inia Jones.

“Inia is one of the few players that came in as a freshman as a game changer,” Kroupa said.

Inia is the engine that makes this team go. Her explosive first step with the ball has been the best offense for this team all year. Her half a dozen assists per game and consistent double digits scoring as helped this team to the record they sit at.

The two young stars that have come onto the scene have been Paris Devers and Lilliana Peterson.

“Paris and Lilli have both made huge strides since the conference tournament,” Kroupa said. “Both have
allowed us to sub more and not lose a step.”

The two act as a perfect pair that can and will step in for this team next year. Devers and Williams are extremely similar players, both having tenacious defensive effort and above average facilitating. Peterson on the other hand, has transformed into a knock down corner three-point shooter, while still being able to navigate the post with great skill and touch.

“Basketball is a long season, it’s been a long school year, if the girls can stay focused and continue to
have fun we will be fine.” Kroupa said.

This Eagles team is calm and collected going into the final stretch of the season, and is poised for a deep
postseason.

$975
$1500

$975
$1500