Students attend Women’s Day March

March 23, 2022

Molly McVay

Girl Up members hold signs at Omaha’s Women’s Day March in Turner Park. Hundreds in the community gathered this day to voice their support for women’s rights.

Omaha’s annual Women’s Day March was held on March 6 in Turner Park. Hundreds gathered with signs and shouts to share in both celebration and the continued fight for women’s rights. Among the marchers were a group of Central students, including Girl Up Co-President Olivia Kiefer.  

Kiefer recalls the dedicated individuals she encountered at the march despite the wintry weather conditions.   

“It was incredibly inspiring. It was very cold that day, so you know everyone there was passionate about the cause. There was an aura of inspiration and empowerment that was very impactful,” Kiefer said.  

The rally presented various speakers from the Omaha area who spoke on topics relating to women’s rights. This group included Maranda Adams, a real estate investment company owner.  

“I listened to most of the speakers before I had to leave. Each one brought something special to the march, but Maranda Adams had the most profound impact on me. She discussed the importance of self-confidence and remembering your importance while you chase your goals. I have taken her words to heart as I continue to lead Girl Up with Alice Larson, knowing my worth and importance as I move to make positive change for women,” Kiefer said.  

A wide variety of signs and posters could be seen at the rally, in tandem with the multitude of issues currently facing women. Along with others at the Women’s Day March, Kiefer found herself focused on reproductive rights for women.  

“In light of the numerous bills being presented that limit access to abortion, I was driven to join those working to fight them. I hoped to learn about how I can help and truly understand the depth in which having this bill passed will impact others,” Kiefer said.  

She is warmed by the fact that Omaha contains so many people who care about making an impact on women’s rights. Their efforts motivate her to continue her own endeavors in the realm of feminism.  

“Knowing there is such a large community of people who care about women’s rights, who truly push for change and are working to make my community a safe space for women to thrive, is so comforting. I am inspired by the drive of the people there and I hope to make an impact for them,” Kiefer said.  

Allies also stepped up to rally against oppression of women. Among these allies was Charlie Yale, a sophomore at Central and member of Girl Up Club. He found the march to be energetic and observed that all in attendance seemed genuinely happy to be there.  

“The fact that people are out there and fighting for what is right is the most important thing,” Yale said.  

While Yale believes it is vital for non-women to show support for women’s rights, he also understands that there are limits in place.  

“It is also important to know when to shut up as an ally and let those actually affected by something speak up. Allies need to use their voices to help amplify the voices of the oppressed, not speak over them,” Yale said.  

The statement “Women’s Rights are Human Rights” has become a common thread throughout recent feminist movements. Yale finds this statement “completely true.” 

“Women are human, and women’s rights should not be seen as something separate from human rights,” Yale said. “Same thing goes for the rights of BIPOC, gay people, trans people, disabled people, etcetera. We all share at least one thing in common: we are all people.”  

$975
$1500

$975
$1500