The U.S. women’s soccer team reaches a settlement of $24 million

March 25, 2022

Settlement 

Throughout history, women in sports have fought for equality. Billy Jean King, Venus and Serena Williams, the Women’s National Basketball Association and the U.S. women’s hockey team are just a few examples. In a recent case, U.S. women’s soccer athletes have sued their employer for gender discrimination and won. 

U.S. soccer stars have reached a settlement of $24 million. This follows a lawsuit that was filed over unequal pay with the men’s players. This settlement has taken years to come into effect. 

The terms explain that U.S. Soccer will pay men and women at an equal rate. All friendlies and tournaments, including the World Cup, will follow this regulation. 

“[This court case] is setting a precedent that women’s sports are valued as much as men,” Casey Denton said. Denton is the Central’s women’s assistant varsity soccer coach. Denton said that the women on the US women’s soccer team that are choosing to fight for their equality are sending a message to young girls who have hopes to go beyond the college level that there is an opportunity to make a career out of soccer. 

Just the start 

The settlement depends on the ratification of the bargaining agreement by the USWNT Players Association. The players and the federation are operating under a “memorandum of understanding” that will run through the end of March, according to The Athletic. The court will schedule final approval of the settlement once the agreement has been ratified. 

After the sides finalize the agreement, they will advise the district court of the settlement. Next, they will seek a limited remand from the court so that the district can consider the settlement. ESPN reports talks of the settlement accelerated weeks after the March 7 hearing.  

Denton describes herself as, “waiting with bated breath.” Though this is a step in the right direction, Denton said, it is only that, a step. “You look at this big headline but when you start looking at what it actually means, it’s not settled yet.” 

The agreement falls short of the $66 million that the players first sought. There are still policies to be put in place and agreements to be settled.  

Let’s compare 

NBC points to the World Cup and the Olympic title for comparison. The USWNT has won four World Cups and four Olympic gold medals. Meanwhile, the USMNT failed to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the third consecutive missed Olympics. The team has also never won a World Cup. Their closest attempt was placing third in the first World Cup in 1930. 

Advocates of the world choose to point to the USWNT’s high television ratings for good reasons. With an estimated 1.2 billion viewers globally, the 2019 Women’s World Cup was the most-watched English-language soccer match (men’s or women’s) in U.S. history, according to NBC News. In 2019, USNWT home kit became the highest-selling soccer jersey in the U.S.  

“U.S. Soccer argued in 2020 that the USWNT players were paid less because they didn’t have the same ability as the men in terms of speed and strength,” says NBC News. If the women’s team is so unathletic, how have they won four World Cups while the men’s team hasn’t placed third since 1930? If the men’s team is so much stronger and faster, why have they not qualified for the Olympics in three years while the women’s team has four Olympic gold medals? 

These statistics combat society’s opinion that women’s sports are unexciting or unimportant compared to men’s sports. The argument that men are paid more because they win more and generate more money is now destroyed. This clears the fog of people’s beliefs to uncover pure sexism. “They put in the effort, the sweat, blood, and tears, they are just as talented. They do not have to look exactly like male sports for them to be competitive and valuable,” said Denton. 

Lasting impact 

Women are often told they are not good enough. They are told to act ladylike by the refs but are told their sport is boring to watch simply because they are women.  

Denton and her team do not often speak of sexism, but she knows from personal experience that as a girl, you grow up thinking you are of less value. “I think you’re aware of the way that your sport is viewed as supplementary in comparison to men,” Denton said. 

This court case is not just about a soccer team receiving equal treatment, it is about the impact it provides to female athletes. 

“It’s more about the message it sends about the value of female athletes, female sports… they are going to take away that message,” Denton said. 

This case also forces people to talk. Men and women are talking about equality. Social media allows conversations about equality in athletics.  

Though the court case is still to be settled, the impact this small win has on female athletes is still present.  

$975
$1500

$975
$1500